IPC problems

88blue90black

I have had this problem several times. There is no apparent reason for it, but

I usually turn off the car and restart it and it works fine for varoius lenghts of time.

A month, a week or even several months.

When I asked my Buick mechanic, he gave me a single pin and told me to remove the unit and check each connection to see if they were all tight. (which I haven't done yet, it's too cold here). But come spring when I take it out of storage I will do the check. He said it was an intermintent connection at the unit, either male or female.

This problem also occurs when the passkey does not properly connect to the leads inside the ignition lock cylinder.

Check your key for; dirty contacts, bends, chips in the resistor "pill", and loose fit. The leads inside the lock may also be worn, or bent.

The ERROR message you described does illuminate when an unrecognized key, or non-passkey is inserted in the lock, disabling starting as a theft-deterrent.

A resistor can be added to the circuit to eliminate the need for a pass key.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if checking the connections help. I took a look at the key and there are nicks chips, or dirt, so I am goin the do some cleaning. I just hope that I don't have to replace the IPC. If I do, how would I change the mileage on the odometer to macth the old one.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.A MAN FROM I THINK CONNECTICUT ADVERTISES ON E-BAY [LOOK UNDER REATTA PARTS].HE WILL SEND ONE FOR 150.00 AND SEND YOUR OLD ONE IN AFTER REPLACING IT.HE REBUILDS THEM.MINE WORKS GREAT.THEY ARE VERY EASY TO REPLACE.GOOD LUCK,JOE