Peter Gariepy

Welcome Mercer Automobile Enthusiasts!

Karl:

Thanks for pointing out the reference that is available at the Roebling Museum. I'll get right on it. It's good to see some activity on this site.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I took some photos of Mercers at Pebble last year. Among them was Hoch's car, as well as Corky Coker's. I will post them when I figure out how to do that.

post-92322-143141829199_thumb.jpgLes Taylor bought his Mercer from my grandfather and was wondering where she might be now? The last picture is from a negative. No other info..Bren

post-92322-143141829069_thumb.jpg

post-92322-143141829097_thumb.jpg

post-92322-143141829123_thumb.jpg

post-92322-143141829149_thumb.jpg

post-92322-143141829176_thumb.jpg

I received the book from the Roebling Museum and was pleased by its content and chronology. I am piecing together a picture from a few different sources, and this was very helpful. Thanks to Type35o for the tip.

In addition, it looks like the Roebling Museum and walking tour of area homes is a great excuse for a road trip! If you folks are holding a meeting of some sort, please post a schedule and I'll try to coincide. If not, perhaps we will meet up at the annual AACA fall meet in Hershey? I plan to go this year. I'll be looking for a project, as I have finished all current ones and will have garage space again soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]186135[/ATTACH]The best picture I have of a Mercer...in the factory still I think...Bren

Brendan, thanks very much for sharing. That is one of the most spectacular early shots of an L head raceabout I have ever seen. Wonderful details there such as the shocks, contrasting paint, hub caps, absent fuel shut-off, and front spring shackle grease cups. Seems very likely it is the factory, maybe a prototype?: rear tank caps have not been added, Rudge wheels stacked on racks.

Edited by ersatzS2 (see edit history)

My grandfather, George F. Schulz- original seven who started SCCA, from Ma./N.H. saved lots of correspondences; Vincent Galloni, O.S. Hatton, D. Cameron Peck, Herbert Royston, P.E. de Rochemont, sales reciepts to; Les Taylor-Mercer car/parts circa 1949, John Duby- Sporting, mot. no. 52265, Raceabout, mot. no. 5628, 6/21/45. Others include- Ted Robertson- good friend, H.M. Burrows, Ed Sturgis, Sonny Garganigo, N.W. Long @ Heald Machine Co., Schoonmaker and Glass- Referencing a1925 Mercer 6 cyl. Raceabout for sale,1925. I believe he owned- as I sift through, a 1922 Raceabout 4 cylinder engine no. 6242, Raceabout eng. no.6272 makers no. 16870, Touring eng. no. 5086, makers no. 5221, Touring eng. no. 4918, makers no. 4968. I don't have any recocrds of other cars he may have owned. If any of this is familiar or of interest....?

Dear Mercer enthousiast, living in Belgium,I recently found a 1919 Mercer racebout in Europe but with a french 4 cyl engine. Could you please help me tracking an original mercer engine for this car as this car is particularily rare in Europe.

The person you need to contact would be Ivan Saxon. He is the most knowledgeable person I've talked with. He has numerous post here so you can send him a private message. Good luck, Bren

I have 2 hubcaps and 1 running board tool box from my grandfather's 1923 mercer touring automobile. Also have original bill of sale. What is best way to establish value of these items and sell?

I'm looking for some Mercer Automobiles in New Jersey. This is really random but I work at a place called Grounds For Sculpture in Hamilton. It is located on part of what used to be the New Jersey State Fairgrounds. They have an event called Day at the Fair where they celebrate the history of the fairgrounds. One of the buildings is the Motor Exhibit Building. I can only imagine the wonders of the modern age that were displayed in that building at the fair. I thought it would be cool if a couple or even a few people came out for the day to show off their cars, I would love to see some Mercers. The fact they were produced locally, I think it's perfect. The day of the event is April 19. I am not an official representative but I do work at Grounds For Sculpture, if anyone was to message me back here or at johnnydelrey@yahoo.com, I would put you in touch with someone who could give you more info. I don't think there would be anything in it for the car owners except a nice day out to show off your car. The Motor Exhibit Building and the Domestic Arts Building were erected in the 20's and are would be a great Art Deco backdrop for some 20 's, 30's or even newer cars. Anyone have an antique farm tractor? Anyway, let me know.

My grandfather, George F. Schulz- original seven who started SCCA, from Ma./N.H. saved lots of correspondences; Vincent Galloni, O.S. Hatton, D. Cameron Peck, Herbert Royston, P.E. de Rochemont, sales reciepts to; Les Taylor-Mercer car/parts circa 1949, John Duby- Sporting, mot. no. 52265, Raceabout, mot. no. 5628, 6/21/45. Others include- Ted Robertson- good friend, H.M. Burrows, Ed Sturgis, Sonny Garganigo, N.W. Long @ Heald Machine Co., Schoonmaker and Glass- Referencing a1925 Mercer 6 cyl. Raceabout for sale,1925. I believe he owned- as I sift through, a 1922 Raceabout 4 cylinder engine no. 6242, Raceabout eng. no.6272 makers no. 16870, Touring eng. no. 5086, makers no. 5221, Touring eng. no. 4918, makers no. 4968. I don't have any recocrds of other cars he may have owned. If any of this is familiar or of interest....?

RE: brandanh's note on 31 Mar 2013;  I own the 1920 Sporting Chassis # 5304 with engine #5226 which also has the valve cover from engine #6242.  i was aware that a Mr. Duby owned the car around 1945.  I was wondering if it was originally owned by George Schulz (since new?).  Did Mr. Duby then sell the car (directly?) to Joe Faltin in Manchester NH as next owner?  Any leads appreciated.

Thanks

Hello everyone, 

I am looking to see if anyone here might have known Charles Jackson of Mount Vernon, Ohio? His obituary stated that he was recognized as an authority on the Mercer automobile. My employer is the current owner of a 1931 Blower Bentley that Charlie owned from 1957 to  1988. I was hoping to find someone who might have known him then or had any photos from when he owned the car.

Thanks in advance if you or anyone you know might be able to help.

The reference to Charles Jackson's involvement with Mercer may have been from a long time ago.  Ray Wolff sent me copies of the second and third sections of his article on Mercer from Antique Automobile issues from the late 1950s.  ( I have a recollection that he may have been editor of Antique Automobile for some years.)    This was probably the first widely available account of Mercer history,  from the time when most knowledge probably was held through the un-written memories of people like Ralph Buckley.  You may find that looking for what you want through Mercer connections would have you fishing in a dry creek.  You are probably better to talk to someone older who is a long time Bentley owner, and who may be not too distant from where Charles Jackson lived.  It may be useful for you to talk to Tom Stewart in Leesburg VA,  who has a 3 litre Bentley which I understand he drives regularly.  He will know other owners, and between them they may know some history of other cars.   You may probably trace Tom through someone in the American Lancia Club.     You should probably understand that the 4 1/2 litre "Blower" Bentley's were not created so much by the Bentley company,  but by a small group of very wealthy people that were interested in racing, particularly the 24 Hour race at LeMans.  They were the "tail that wagged the dog", and it is recorded that Walter Owen Bentley did not like them.  They were spectacular, but their racing success was disappointing.   It seems that the engineering required to maintain them may have been challenging.   One example hare in Melbourne was owned by champion racing driver Lex Davidson for years without public appearance,  and after him by John Creswell who was a very distinguished engineer.   I never got to talk to him about it,  because I never saw it with him in public.   It is likely that owner satisfaction is more likey on a podium somewhere like Pebble Beach ,  rather than on the highway.  One was featured at a recent "MotorClassica" at the Exhibition Building in Melbourne.   It was beautifully restored, but it was huge and looked heavy.  I am not surprised that W O Bentley should have commented that the Stutz at LeMans in 1928  was lower and handled better than his cars.  I hope this is some use to you.

The person who now owns the rights to the Mercer automobile co is Fred Hoch who owns the Schaffer and Long restoration co in NJ His number is 856 784 4044. If anyone would know he would.

Saw some old posts here about Richard Paine and the Seal Cove Auto Museum. Just wanted to say that today the museum is thriving and still has an amazing collection of rare automobiles. Of interest to Mercer enthuiasts are the 1921 Mercer Sporting, that was once owned by Roger Cutting and written about in his 1969 book, "Motor-Mania," and Finlay Roberton Porter's masterpiece, our fabulous, sole surviving, 1915 F.R.P.

We would love to host a Mercer owners' meeting at the museum at any time during our May to October season. 

PB080022.JPG

Mercer at Woodlawn.JPG

Looking for rings and pistons for the Seal Cove Auto Museum's 1921 Series 5 Sporting Model Mercer. (Pictured above in my August 30, 2016 posting)

Any leads would be most appreciated.

You can contact me via my museum email... Curator@sealcoveautomuseum.org