Just would like to show you a new family member

Wow. It looks great! Have fun learning what all those buttons and levers do. I think you must boil water to make the steam LOL. I wish you the best with it!<P>Rick S.

Guest BillP

Great looking car, Tom! <BR>I always admired the diamond tuck leather upholstery on those Edwardian era cars. <BR>I don't know how it works either, but I know you'll have a great adventure figuring it out. Keep us posted.

Good find Tom, the price of gas today makes this kind of vehicle very attractive in many ways!!!

Hi the cook book should be lagge,but for tonite,,, FFFirst remember get the burner HOT when ya start If not sure heat it more lots more!!!If you have a flaming fire of HHHOT!!fuel its almost impossible to deal with and its good to have a friend to push it off the flaming puddle!If everything is hot it will be a vapor fire and go out when ya shut the valve With wet fire shuting the valve still leaves a quantity of fuel in the burner or on the ground..Tip #2 listen a lot!!You will speedily learn the subtle diference between wet sounds and healthy sounds This includes exhaust note too! ##3NNNEVER hookup w/a cold engine.There is compresson in short cutoff and if water comes with the steam as it does when cold itCOULD 1 bend crank 2blow out a head [also head dents/bends axleon its way by] 3Generally raise havoc w/engine internal alignment. Be sure to cold test boiler yearly ..A good old rule says test to 5/3 of working pressure Have fun BEN

PS look at that brake lever it doesnot look standard but looks more like a Henry Stickney lever.. His business was Portland Garage Portland Me.Henry invented/built corn canning macinery using superheat!!see a connection? BEN at Limerick Me 04048

Terry,<P>I think that fuel cost may an issue on a steamer. I spoke to a fellow who was firing up his Stanley Steamer a month or two ago. I asked what he used for fuel.<P>His answer was that since kerosene was not readily available in the area, he used a mixture of diesel fuel and gasoline.<P>So the fuel cost per gallon is the same as for an internal combustion engine. The next question is the energy conversion efficiency. Mobile steam plants are not very good on that front because the large temperature differentials needed for good thermo efficiency require either an open loop system that requires lots of water. Or they require a huge heat exchanger to keep the outlet temperature/pressure low.<P>My guess is the miles/gallon (km/liter) is not all that great.<P>Thomas:<P>That car looks great. I am jealous!