New 55 Clipper Owner- HELP

Guest 55_Clipper

Thanks for the compliments on the pics--just think if I'd have rubbed out the paint first! It really was a beautiful car.

That color combination of yours sounds interesting. I'm thinking the blue would be the hood and the gray would be the top, trunk, and "swoop" on the side, right?

One interesting thing about these Clippers, they're hard cars to id because they're one color coming at you, another color going away, and two colors when they go by! What a great getaway car...

"Officer, I saw the robbers arrive at the U-Pull-It yard in a dark blue car and then drive off at a high rate of speed in a similar car, but it was gray."

Guest 55_Clipper

Actually, I was thinking tother way 'round, but either way would look good. You are right, they make good getaway cars, IF I were inclined to make six-shooter withdrawls form local banks grin.gif

On the tire question. I went thru this last summer figuring out the right tire for my 51 DeSoto which also came with 7.60 X 15 tires.

It turns out what I needed was either the most expensive tires or the cheapest.

If you insist on wide whites and are willing to sacrifice practicality there are several good brands of wide whitewall bias ply tires available in the original size.

What I did was go to Walmart and buy Marshal 791 brand radials.

The size was 225 75 R15.

These are a good 2 inches narrower than name brand radials of the same size.

They are the closest tire I could find to the original size for less than half the cost of bias plies.

And they are better tires than anything that was available in the 50s.

The only drawback is the narrow whitewall. So I installed mine black side out.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 55_Clipper

Sorry, I haven't been around much, but things got busy here. I realy do appreciate all the help and imput. I have to replace the seals in the power steering system this month too. Ahhhh, a classic car comes with classic problems. On a side note- check out this link and hope Dailmer-Chrysler dosen't try the same thing

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42402

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 55_Clipper

another question from the novice owner- my power steering unit. I have the MONROE power steering unit. One side(the Bigger) has a high pressure fitting, the other(the smaller) has a normal hose clamp holding the fitting to the hose. Is this normal, or do I have to have a high pressure fitting on the return side?

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Daimler Chrysler is now Chrysler LLC </div></div>

Okay.............???? confused.gif

And what has that got to do with '55 Packard power-steering ??? confused.giflaugh.gif

Since my '56 does not have power-steering, I probably should not attempt to answer this one, but I've seen other older systems with only hose-clamps on the low pressure return hose.

The pressure side in a Monroe unit is 8-900 psi, Bendix less. Return side in both would be in the "few" psi range as since the spool valve is taking care of the pressure and balancing the piston, basically all it's doing is allowing the excess fluid on the shortening side of piston a path to go back to reservoir when making a turn. There is no connection to pressure side in this instance so most generated would be what little the piston would need to displace as it moved. A hose clamp is all that's necessary to keep on.

• 2 months later...
Guest 55_Clipper

Any particular brand of trans fluid recomended? Standard ATF is called for, will the sythetic stuff (mercron/dexron) harm it?

According to a transmission rebuilder friend Ford fluid is best for everything, it is a better more heavy duty fluid. But you need to change out the fluid TOTALLY when going from Dexron to Ford.

He always recommends Ford fluid in his rebuilt trannies if the buyer is savvy enough to understand, and remember to top up with the right fluid.

You may be able to change over successfully if your torque converter has a drain plug to drain it out, and you change the filter and drop the pan at the same time.

This info is quite old, he told me this before Chrysler came out with their own fluid.

Guest 55_Clipper

Thank You B.H.!!!!

I now have in my possesion an engine gasket set and a P/S seal set. The replacement of leaking gaskets is going to start the first weekend after "Mothers' Day" (the first and fifteenth if you get my drift....) Type "F" aye..... That is what the service manual calls for.......I was just wondering if anyboday had any other points of view.

Guest 55_Clipper

B.H, The P/S System is full now. I have a slow leak from the control valve area(I have to replace the O rings). It was out of fluid for a while and I did idle the car once(stupid me blush.gif) w/o fluid in the system. Did I damage the system???

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 55_Clipper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I now have a "groaning" with my P/S system.. Do I have to replace the pump?? </div></div>

You first need to determine where the sound is coming from?

They sell inexpensive automotive Stethoscopes that will assist is locating the sound. I use mine all the time.

See Link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41966

Guest BigKev

I just bought a Stud Welder from Harbor Freight and it works perfectly. My advise with Harbor is always this:

If it going to be a long term (generational) daily use hand tool (Sockets, wrenches, etc) then buy a name brand.

If it a once in a blue moon tool, but it from Harbor.

If it going to be a "beater" tool, then but it from Harbor

I started out with all Harbor Tools, and I still buy lots of stuff there. My wife has replaced all my daily use tools with Crafsmen Professional and Gear Wrench versions. While not Snap-On or those other high end brands, they work fine for my home garage, and they perform better than the Harbor versions.

I still have all the old harbor versions, and those are what I loan to neighbors when they ask to borrow something. Or when you need a "beater" screwdriver to pry something open, etc.

One example I use is that I bought a Pickle Fork set from Harbor for about $10. The Craftsmen one would have cost me $30. How many times does an average guy need to use a Pickle Fork? Plus it's not exactly what a person would call a "precision tool". So the Harbor version worked just fine for me.

Now while this Stud Welder works great, I doubt I would buy a MIG Welder from them. I would probably pick a major name brand welder that I could get parts for easily if needed.

Of course this is all my opinion, your results may vary.

Guest 55_Clipper

Rusty, Kev,

The stethescope works well. Groaning cured by visual inspection. Left Front tire low on air blush.gif groan in P/S system gone. But tool recently purchased works great grin.gifcan hear lots of things in engine!!! Fuel pump strong, very little noise from valves!!! I hope this is a good sign.

Guest imported_Speedster

Great, Glad I could help.

I find the stethoscope very helpful when trying to locate a bad waterpump, power-steering pump, vacuum pump, AC compressor, alternator, belt-pulley, etc. when they are all next to each other or down next to engine and you can't determine which is making the noise.

Just keep it out of the fanbelt tho. That's Not a good experience! blush.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just keep it out of the fanbelt tho. That's Not a good experience! blush.gif

</div></div>

Yeah, and a little tough to explain to the doctor: "See doc, I was using my stethoscope, kinda like that one, when I got it stuck in my belt and ..." smile.gif .

Guest 55_Clipper

I can see it now in the "Friday Funnies"( a term we in the Navy apply to the weekly summary of mishaps) a PO1 is missing part of his ear and will have major scarring on the left side of his face due to incompetence......

'55

Just another '55 catching up with your thread again here. Glad you're making headway with the Clipper. You've got a good team of experts helping, too, I can see.

Kind of wondering though what happened to that "burnt" smell you posted about way back when... was it just the Southern California brush fires wafting on the breeze toward Diego? Or maybe I missed a post somehow?

BTW, a lack of valve clatter is a VERY good sign. Some of the V8s were prone to noisy lifters (see NUMEROUS detailed threads) and if yours doesn't have any even when you listen close, you may have one of those great old Packard V8s where it's NOT AN ISSUE! Two out of three of our '55 Packards never made a peep. They were both Clippers with 352 ci. Our 400 with that same size engine always had valve clatter and oil pressure probs.

PLEASE DON'T THINK I'M TRYING TO CO-OPT THIS THREAD TO TALK ABOUT LIFTER NOISE! laugh.gif

I just wanted to let you know you could probably safely just enjoy your quiet engine, except for using good oil (you'll get lots of opinions on that, too--but we used 1960s through 1970s versions of Trop Artic 10W-30 with great success).

Just change it early and often... but you knew that anyway. smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 55_Clipper

The harsh, burnt smell hasn't re-appeared yet... I'm thinking it was fresh bakelite during the "burn in" phase of operatrion. Have new gasket set for the engine, hope the leaking fluids go away too..... Found out the lower end of the P/S unit seals can be purchased at NAPA cry.gif will keep y' all updated on my progress. BTW- I retire in 15 mos from USN. Hope the new adventure called life is fun....... 20 years, man where did they go????????

do you have the Napa numbers available. I have to rebuild my unit and I need all of the seals. I use one fluid fill-up each time I drive the car.

Guest 55_Clipper

Depends on wich P/S unit you have.... BENDIX or MONROE? Let me know. The lower end seals (by the ram unit) are just common O-Rings..

• 6 months later...
Guest 55_Clipper

Kevin,

I'm a little confused right now. The ID label on the door pillar of my packard indicates a 5542 model, but when looking at the packard club index of body styles for 55's, the 5542(super) didn't have the zig-zag paint or trim lines. Was this available for this model? The reason I'm asking is retirement is creeping up on me a little faster than expected (8 months now to go.), and I may have to tow my 55. Is the shipping weight and curb weight the same thing? Weight is a big factor, GCVWR for my truck is 5 tons. Trucks curb weight is 4200 lbs.

I will have to have someone that knows the in's and out's of the 55 schemes better to answer this for sure. But looking at the brochures, and what I have on the model into pages, the Clipper Hardtops had the zig-zig patterns, and the Touring Sedans just had the top trim and color, without the bottom front trim and color.

This illustrates it better:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/module...p;ButtonYear=Go

Guest 55_Clipper

thanks Kev

do you have any ideas as far as towing my 55?

I have an 01 F150 XLT Supercrew SWB. 4.6,3.08 rear end, 4spd auto trans.w/ aux cooler, class III 7500 lbs weight distributing hitch. my GCVWR cannot exceed 10000 lbs.

I am showing the stated weight for your '55 is 3,670lbs. So you would have to add that to the acutal trailer weight, plus anything else in the load (spare parts, etc). I would recommend a full flat-bed trailer, instead of just a car dolly that tows it by two wheels.

But I will let others with move experience chime in on this subject.

Guest acboxer

A good place for information on towing is go to Uhaul site follow to trailer rental there is chart that says what you can pull with a given vehicle. Just use a 2007 Lincoln LT truck to pull a car from New Jersey to home a distance of 350 miles. Reserved trailer from home to pick up in New Jersey dropped off at local Uhaul had 4 days for use only charged around $180 with the optional insurance. Was a nice trailer had tie downs and everything needed. Worked great for us.

On the subject of towing, definitely use a flat-bed trailer preferabley an 18ft one. You can use a 16ft but you will have to crawl underneath what is hanging over the back of the trailer in order hook up binder straps. If you are only a few pounds over or under not to worry, because most of the ratings tend to be very, very conservative. If you are over by say 500 LBS or more you might want to reconsider your options.

Good Luck

ALK

Guest 55_Clipper

U-Haul and Penske are telling me I cannot tow my baby. I am going to repalce the freeze plugs(I have a leak in one of them) and all the gaskets available that I have on hand. The tail light lenses get replaced as well. I guess I am going to have to trust my 16 year old son with a 2 ton, 225 HP truck w/3.08:1 rear end gears on the open road... good thing the wife is driving a 2 ton, 225 HP car w/ 2.72:1 will be in front of him!!!LOL....a good thing I am teaching him how to drive...... I am scheduling a weekend or two at MCRD to fix all KNOWN problems.......I figure another $500 and I'll be good to go. All fluids changed, lenses replaced, and registration. BTW-Kev- I see you in the next 8 mos., we are going to drag............your '54 against my '55................ time 1715 on the 91 FWY. LOL

Guest 55_Clipper

B.H.

Thanks for the info. The brocheures really didn't delve into details. I thought I had an odd ball on my hands for a minute. It is now clear that the trim lines were changed durng the production run. laugh.gif

i cant see why you can't tow it, i towed my first 54 Packard behind a chev van with a 350 , on a uhaul trailer... the rest where on tow bars, one done with a 2l 4cyl car pull it back from worchester Ma to Toronto Canada.. anything is possable.. I think when i rented the u-haul trailer they did ask what i was putting on it, and the weight, and did not like the weight, so i phoned another office, and told them it was for a 2300 lb car, instead of a 4300lb car... LOL..

• 1 year later...
Guest 55_Clipper

Hey Folks,

Sorry I've been out of touch lately, but there has been several big changes in my life.

First: I retired from the Navy last June.

Second: Moved to VA to facillitate a new income source.

My F-150 towed my Clipper just fine (at 12 MPG though, UGH!!!). I dropped the drive shaft and put her on a dolly. My Clipper is currently residing in Northern CA.

We are looking at buying a house here in Northern VA, and I don't have a lot of vacation time on the books, so getting the Clipper here is going to have to wait for a bit. We have to see if we can afford a house and a new F-250 4x4 deisel..... here's hoping.

Kevin.... just replace the domain name in my personal email with comcast and we'll be able to swap info back and forth. Now I just have to get in touch w/ dick Benjamin....

good luck. there another club call Packard auto classic activity on the west coast. check there website there a lot information available. in the technical area. and many downloads.

If there forum there a reference to Packard Info source, it a big site with more free downloads, bulletins for 55 and 56. thee were sent to the dealers to address issues after production. They cover beyond the manual.

Guest 55_Clipper

An update to the loud clacking noise...

The noise I was hearing was my generator, there was a definite problem. I have since had the generator rebuilt by Chirco Automotive and the noise went away.....

Since moving to VA, I now need to find an upholstery shop to have the interior redone, seats, floorboards, and headliner.....any suggestions please, chime in!!!!