39 Lincoln Zephyr Columbia axle

39LZCoupe

I have what I thought was a Lincoln Zephyr Columbia for a 39 Lincoln Zephyr. It turns out the housing is 1 1/4 too long for a 39. I think the Columbia housing is for a 41, but I am not positive. Would anyone want to trade me a correct outer housing for this one? I figure this is a long shot, but before I get someone to cut this one down I'll try posting it here. I just need the correct outer housing and nothing else. I do have both the Columbia side and the left axle housing for the long axle tubes if any one is interested.

Thanks,

Brian O

I suggest that you contact Dan Krehbiel in Temecula, California. Dan is the Columbia advisor for the Early Ford V-8 club and is also a member of the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. Dan has been building Columbia axles for Fords, Mercurys, and Lincolns for over 30 years and has a large inventory of parts. Dan built the Columbia that I installed in my 1939 Zephyr convertible. (See http://community.webshots.com/album/535592120cTKtFX ). This axle was originally intended to go into my 1939 Ford which I sold without ever installing it. Dan swapped out the Ford parts for the correct Lincoln parts for me.

Dan's phone number is 909 302-5922.

May I also suggest that you join the LZOC if you haven't already done so. There is an on-line application at www.lzoc.org. The LZOC is dedicated to the support of the HV-12 Lincolns and doesn't mess around with late-model "used cars".

I didn't measure or set the backlash, etc. Cecil. Dan included an assortment of the gaskets that go between the center cection and the axle housings. I measured the gaskets that I took out and used new ones that were closest to the old thickness. So far, no clunks (except when the Columbia shifts ranges) or strange noises from the rear end. Everything seems to be working just fine. It certainly has made a significant difference in the driveability of the car! I test drove it briefly at 75 mph after installing the Columbia. I can hardly wait to replace the old "gum-dipped" Firestone bias tires with wide whitewall radials!

post-32768-143137916315_thumb.jpg

Hello Pete,

For any Columbia parts you need, I suggest that you contact Dan Krehbiel in Temecula, California. Dan has been building Columbia axles for Fords, Mercurys, and Lincolns for over 30 years and has a large inventory of parts. I have known Dan for over 40 years and have complete confidence in his knowledge and integrity.

Dan's phone number is 909 302-5922.

That's Dan in his (Columbia eauipped) 1940 Mercury convertible (attachment).

post-32768-143137916317_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a guess, but Ford didn't widen their axles until 1941. Perhaps Lincoln did the same. Perhaps the 1940 Lincoln parts book would give a clue.

However, Lincoln gave up the silly VW type bolt circle in mid 1938 while it took Ford until 1940 to make that change. They probably had such a huge supply of those wheels that they just couldn't bear to scrap such a large inventory!