battery drain

I would first like to extend my deepest sympathy to all who have been touched by the tradegy in Pa., Va., And NY. <BR> i would like to know if anyone can help me with a battery drain problem. it seems that when the car is parked for a couple of days, the battery drains. no lights are left on, that includes interior and exterior lites. i am stumped, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This seems to be a common problem in modern GM cars - is not specific to the Reatta.<P>I assume you have already checked out the battery and alternator since these are the most common causes of such problems.<P>Given that, the next thing to do is to check the static drain - with all lights and accessories off, doors and trunk closed, and the key out, the static drain on the battery should be on the close order of 20 ma (.02 amp.). If you read 200 ma (.2 amp.) or more, there is a problem - that load will drain a good battery in 3-5 days.<P>Assuming you do find a high drain, start pulling fuses until you find one that drops the drain to 20 ma or less. Once you do that we can go further.<P>BTW have not mentioned recent events here because is too close to day job.<p>[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: padgett ]

Hi. I also have the same problem. As a temporary fix, I disconnect 1 battery cable from the terminal if I know I won't be driving the car for a few days. Seems to cure the problem, although its a pain.

I just open the hood with everything off and jumper from the negative post to ground. Then remove the negative terminal and connect so that the current passes from the negative lead to one lead of the DVM, then connect the other lead to the negative side of the battery. Set DVM to an appropriate current scale. Remove jumper. Read static current draw on meter.<P>(Jumper is to keep from losing presets).<P>My '88 has a static draw close to 20 ma (.02a) - actually 17ma last time I checked.

How do you check for the .2 drain? I have that problem on my Allante and would like to isolate it. Just a comment to the poster who opts to disconnect the battery between uses. First, you lose all radio presets doing that; second, if the problem worsens, you could be left stranded if the car is parked elsewhere overnight. If that does prove a viable solution, you might want to try a disconnect switch between the post and cable. Would be easier and faster.

Wufibug, Yes I know I lose all radio presets (along with time, date & the annoying tone returns after pressing any button). Unfortunatly, that's what I have to do for now unless I want to boost the car after it sit for 3-4 days. It bites. I am not electrically gifted, so no point me trying to figure out the problem. Husband will get around to it sometime. We have 2 other vehicles, so I'm not overly concerned. We only disconnect a terminal if we're leaving it at home parked for a few days. I haven't been able to drive it much anyway since we had our baby. The lovely seat belt design does not allow for a child seat to be installed. <BR>ANYHOW, where would I find a disconnect switch? I've looked all over Winnipeg in Canada & no one carries them. Actually that's a lie...I did find 1, but it was designed for a boat battery (not sure what the difference would be, our boat uses the same battery as our car) & it was terribly expensive. If you know of a web site that sells them, please post it so I could contact them to see I could order one & have it shipped. Thanx!

Both Sears and Pep Boys carry disconnects for post batteries and usually have the adapters to use them on side terminals.<P>Is about four inches long by an inch wide with a red or green plastic knob on top. <P>Are generally found hanging in a blister pack with the battery terminals and cables. Have seen as low as U$5.00 at swap meets.<p>[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: padgett ]