Accumulator Replacement

Guest grkman1

Guest grkman1

Have read several posts about the brake accumulator replacement for the Reatta. I have run the tests and it seems that I need one.

How hard is it to change this accumulator safely? I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this themselves

thanks

It is about the same as changing an oil filter, with a couple extra steps.

(1) You will need to remove two nuts on the drivers side cross-brace. This is necessary to give clearance.

(2) With the key OFF pump the brake pedal until it gets hard.

(3) Unscrew the accumulator. There is a hex in the top (probably metric) and or you may need a oil filter or strap wrench. Some unscrew easily others need help.

(4) clean the area around the hole, make certain you have the "O" ring on the new accumulator and screw it in.....snug, you do not need to use a wrench.

Check the fluid level in the resevoir...it should be to the full line.

Turn the ignition ON and the pump will start...depending on the overall condition of the pump etc, it can take 15-45 seconds to shut off.

Test the brakes, replace the cross brace nuts.........

Guest grkman1

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but the accumulator is inside the round metal oil filter type item. Its this item that is replaced. I dont ahve to go into the metal part...Right? The reason I say this is that someone had posted a cross sectional view of the accumulator showing the damage.

Thanks

George