Sign in to follow this  
sweetford55

Bad Steering Box 1955 Ford Customline

Anyone know of a replacement box from another year donor car that will bolt in without modifications? OR........Where can I get the old box rebuilt at a reasonable price. This is on a 1955 Ford customline with manual steering.

Thanks...............Ron

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I don't see Customline specifically listed, but if I am reading my interchange manual correctly, 1955 Ford passenger car steering gear would be part number B5A3504B. If that is the correct number, it appears that it does not interchange with any other application, so I guess you need to look for 1955 Fords only.

I rebuilt the steering box in my 55 and it was easy,the bottom bearing goes bad and ruins the gear thats pressed on the shaft and its easier to get a new shaft with the gear as the gear has to be pressed on just right or the steering wheel will be off center. I got all the parts from Macs. Jeff

Junkyard Jeff: Thanks for your input!!! I have a manual steering in my '55. What parts do I need to do a complete rebuild from Macs? Do they have every gear, shaft, bearing, seals and gaskets? It sounds kind of scary as I have never taken a steering box apart. Is it just a take apart put back together thing?

Thanks.........Ron

I think they have everything needed and its not as bad as it looks,get a shop manual and then dissasemble clean and see whats bad. Jeff

Sorry, (Not really... We were at Disney World for a week!) but I have been away from the computer for a while. I have replied to your private message.