Lost Brakes

Guest Motu 56

Guest Motu 56

I noticed this morning that it took a long time for the red and yellow light to go out. It actually took a few minutes. When I stopped for lunch and took off the lights would not go out. I then noticed that the brakes had failed when it required great force just to bring it to a slow stop.I figured it was the accumlator so I replaced and now I still have the same problem. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest F14CRAZY

First, I'd swap the ABS relay on the firewall with either of the other two. Turn the ignition on. If the pump comes on and your brake lights go out, then your relay was bad. A <$10 item, but pick it up from a NAPA, Carquest, etc cuz the ones from Advance, I know, look weird. If the pump doesn't come on...

Using a test light or a cheap multimeter, see if there's voltage going to the pump. If there is, your pump's bad.

If no voltage, check the connector on the pressure switch. If there's fluid in it, it's bad. Well, at any rate, unless your connectors, wiring, or something else is bad (not likely, though i would reseat the connectors just for luck), your switch is bad, cuz your relay and pump tested ok.

From my experience it is usually the pressure switch located on top of the pump right in front of the accumulator, or the pump itself. Remove the connector from the pressure switch and look inside. If you see any moisture ( brake fluid ) around the pins then the pressure switch is bad and not starting the pump. If the pump is bad sometimes tapping on it, with the key on, will start the pump.

I have both parts and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com although I am out of the country until Wednesday night late.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Motu 56

I restarted the car today and I listened for the pump and I heard it running. I hit the brakes three times and both lights came on. I switched relays on the firewall and restarted the car and both lights came on immediately and would not go off. I also inspected the pressure switch and saw no moisture inside it. Any more ideas before I switch out the motor and pressure switch? You guys make up the best car forum on the net.

Guest imported_blazer1997

I agree with everyone that has posted. Had the same problem with a 89 reatta replaced the relays, accumulator, pressure switch had same problem both light on.

Replace the motor, and problem solved.

Just picked-up two motors used if need one let me know. You pay UPS shipping send you a motor if determine need one.

Guest wally888

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I restarted the car today and I listened for the pump and I heard it running. I hit the brakes three times and both lights came on. I switched relays on the firewall and restarted the car and both lights came on immediately and would not go off. I also inspected the pressure switch and saw no moisture inside it. Any more ideas before I switch out the motor and pressure switch? You guys make up the best car forum on the net. </div></div>

Exactly the same problem I had w/ my 1 st. Reatta in 1995 (?)

I had a bad relay and a bad accumulator.

You probably have 2 good relays of the 3, Fuel Pump, Main, Pump. Switch them until you have no lights (Give the pump time to run-turn lights out) THEN pump pedal a few times-will probably see yellow then both lights.=need accumulator.

The tests????????????

Guest imported_blazer1997

Received the money order today 26th. Does make any difference where states sender, and address on the money order not filled in?

Have your phone number let me know a good time to call you tonight.