INSURANCE WOES ....

Here's a question for all of you that have had a car (or more specifically, a Reatta) totalled ... has anyone ever successfully bargained for 'replacement value' as opposed to book value? I ask this as the highest offer I got from the 2 insurance companies involved is $4550 for my totalled Reatta. And, well, it's tough to find a decent car for that price ... any suggestions would be helpful.<BR>Thanks!<BR>~Brenda<BR>reatta2go@aol.com

You may want to go to autotrader.com and print out the car details and asking price on 90 coupes in similar condition and mileage as yours. Also, if you have a local used car outlet that will search for your desired car get them to document car condition and price. Good luck. smile.gif" border="0

Guest wally888

Several years ago I totaled a Caddy w/o any help from anyone, just hydroplaned.<BR> The offer the Ins. Co. made was for a car in worse shape than mine. I provided a bill for recent new tires, a transmission overhaul and submitted the highest priced ads in the Atlanta Journal. Managed to get an additional $1500 offer.<BR> Don't settle until an offer is suitable.

Brenda;<P>My toy was a pampered 89 Taurus SHO, 220 horsepower stock, only available as a standard, 4 doors, sunroof, leather and 0 to 60 6.6 seconds stock. Upgrades 9 inch K&N Cone filter, cold air induction, bored out throttle body, stainless steel y pipe free flow exhaust and low restriction Cat and mufflers always synthetic oil.<P>If you are interested in an extremely fast, comfortable fun 4 door car I will highly recommend the SHO, all other fords suck big time with the exception of the GT40. <P>Car was sold (HA)to the insurance company for a fraction of its worth after a hit and run wrote it off. <P>I was in the car and the other guy ran into my back quarter panel and when Police caught up with him (sober 4 days later)he claimed I hit him and that was why he ran. Insurance company refused to pay me my deductible of $1,000 they would only split it with me offering $500. They said they couldn't figure who was at fault DUH... b#* insurance companies <P>After much negotiating I took them to Court where you find out that they are really a bunch of lying (your choice of adjective).<P>At Court I got slightly more money, got my full deductible and got A GREAT DEAL OF SATISFACTION by dragging their buts and their liar into pretrial and finally court. I know it cost them much more than I was asking as a fair settlement.<P>I would do it again if I had to.<P>Hope that you are well on the way to being fully mended after your accident, Robert

HOLD OUT FOR A PRICE THAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH. RECENTLY THE INSURANCE COMPANY TOTALLED MY 90 REATTA (140,000 MILES). THEY OFFERED $5300, WHICH WAS LESS THAN BOOK AT THE TIME. I ALSO JUST PUT ALOT OF MONEY INTO THE CAR, EX. REAR CALPIERS, STRUTS, & JUST PUT ON NEW BRAKES AND TAIL LIGHTS TWO DAYS BEFORE THE ACCIDENT. SO THAT PRICE WAS NOT WORKING FOR ME. CONSIDER SELLING OUT PARTS. ASK THE INSURANCE COMPANY HOW MUCH THEY WOULD GIVE YOU TO KEEP THE CAR, TITLE, AND YOU CAN RATHER EASILY (ESPECIALLY WITH THE HELP OF THIS WONDERFUL SITE) SELL PARTS FROM YOUR CAR!<BR>GOOD LUCK

Also quote NADA Official Used Car Guide <A HREF="http://www.nadaguides.com/GlobalFrame.asp?UserID=0538968F79E&DID=37146&Sec=Manuf&Type=DM&GCode=OC&wSec=1&wPg=1008&Letter=B" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nadaguides.com/GlobalFrame.asp?UserID=053 8968F79E&DID=37146&Sec=Manuf&Type=DM&GCode=OC&wSec=1&wPg=1008&Letter=B</A> <P>1990 <BR> <BR> <BR> REATTA-FWD <BR> Body Style: Coupe 2 Door <BR> Model Number: EC1 <BR> Weight: 3,373 <BR> Low Retail: $5,575 <BR> Average Retail: $6,975 <BR> High Retail: $8,150 <BR> <BR>Good luck Robert<p>[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Drive it like I stole it. ]

Brenda: <P>The following may be of help to you.<P>I've just gone through four months of haggling with my insurance company after my '72 Mustang convertible was totalled on the freeway. Less than a year before I had paid $9,000 for it; it had only 77,000 miles and was an Arizona "snowbird" car, stored 10 months each year in Phoenix and only driven in December and January when the owners came down from Minnesota. <P>Drove it to my agent for Mercury Insurance. He took the usual pictures and, because "it's the most primo Mustang I've seen, let's put a $15,000 Stated Value policy on it." <P>Fast-forward to the week following the accident: They found a "comparable" convertible, with 147,000 miles, for $5,000. So that's what they offered me, saying the Stated Value policy only meant it "was covered UP to that amount." I screamed and went to the web to get the NADA and Kelly Blue Book prices, which were $11,000 to $20,000. Surprise...the Insurance Institute does not recognize either NADA or Kelly, and relies on its own internal guide.<P>Bottom line: Demand mediation, and in the meantime, bombard them via FAX with every classifed ad, every eBay auction, every Hemmings ad, etc. Also tell them you have three Reatta experts who want to examine the car in order to make their evaluations for the mediation, and that you want the car available for their inspections evenings and on weekends. While all this is going on, do not -- repeat, do not! -- sign over the title to them.<P>Their ploy is to try to outwait you, believing you need money immediately in order to buy another car. Let them know you've already bought another car -- and have all the time in the world, so "there's no great hurry in going to mediation, folks."<P>They'll switch your case to another person, who will make a slightly higher offer. Snub 'em. You'll get two or three different people. This way each of 'em can say it's the company's final offer, and not have to back down. The next one "reviews" the case and ups the ante. Hang in there! I did, and after four months finally accepted their fourth offer, this time for $9750.<P>Good luck,<P>Jerry Sellers

When mine was tailended I<BR>brought it to a bodyshop that<BR>I knew was good. The adjuster<BR>came and the bodyshop owner<BR>knew him. It also help that the<BR>car was in mint condition.<BR>The only deal was that used parts<BR>were used in the repear.<BR>But new parts were not available<BR>any way. Original estimate was <BR>+$8,000 U.S. parts only.

Brenda,<BR>Nationwide forked over more than $2600 for damage to the side of mine in a hit and run (I wasn't in the car). Compared to your's, mine was, of course, minor, but my point is this... Dealer cost of new side fender is $500+, outer door skin $411+, plus paint, inner door repair, etc... No insurance company will repair a car whose damage exceeds over 50% of "declared value" which is the value THEY declare, not Nada or Kelly. Yes I did have to haggle a bit on the price, but the point is they paid for it, meaning that the average worth is in excess of $5200, non-retail, nor a car with 130K+ miles in "Good" condition (which is what she put on the papers when she sent them in! Don't take any less!<P>Just remembered, that price was with my $500 deductible...might have been $250, can't remember. Anyway, that boosts the cost to somewhere between $5450 and $5700.<p>[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Consultants_1 ]

HI,THREE YEAR'S AGO I WAS HIT IN THE REAR BY A PETERBUILT SUPER SIXTEEN WITH 42/TON LOADED WEIGHT IN PHOENIX ARIZONA. THE CAR WAS A 1988 BUICK REATTA MY INSURANCE COMPANY OFFERED $3500 & I HAD JUST BOUGHT THE CAR FOR $7000 THREE MONTHS PRIOR,I HAD TO BRING A COPY OF THE CASHIER'S CHECK AND ADD'S FROM BOOK'S LIKE AUTO TRADER TO COLLECT THE SUM OF $6500. I HAD A $500. DEDUCTIBLE SO IT WAS $7000 SUBTRACTED $500. GOOD LUCK BE PERSISTENT