Panel lites on the Console

Guest rong

I have not had the electro-luminescientlites on the console and decided to try and get them up and running. After totally disasssemblying the console, I cannot find the console inverter, or anything that looks like it. The plugs, with the wires (blue, 2 gray and white/blk) are all there, but no circuit to connect to. One gray wire is coming thru the big connector, but is a ground for the dimmer lines thru the console lites. I cannot find where the blue wire or white/blk wire come from or go to. The other gray should be going to the "dimmer sircuit", but I cannot find any other connection. The harness seems to be wrapped as original (I cannot find cut wires or patches). <BR>Its almost like this car did not have the inverter in it originally. Any thoughts or ideas?

Sorry to be so late rong answering this. I must have missed it. My invertor is about half way back in the console. It is about the size of a relay but it is molded in bright colored plastic. Mine was purple. It has a tag on it that says danger 110 volts A/C. It would be somewhere close to being under the window switches and it plugs into the main harness. It has 2 plugs that connect to it. One has 3 wires and the other has 1.<BR>I just read Your post closer and it sounds to Me like someone has removed it. Probably why You dont have lights. If You need it I can trace the wire colors for You. I would try to plug one in and see if it works. I found mine in an 89 Riviera in the bone yard. If You do a search here it seems like someone had found a place to buy them new. GM no longer has them<p>[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: skip5015 ]

Skip.....Thanks for the reply. I am about to conclude that mine was removed for some reason. I have the manual and know all the wire colors. I also am the one that found out how to buy new inverters, however the only part number the manufacturer has reference to is the IP inverter. They have no record of the console inverter part number. If someone out there knows, are the two inverters the same? Are they interchangeable?

I am not sure if the 2 are the same. They do have 2 different part numbers. The console inverter number is 1642274. I did a little checking when I was working on My light pod lights and the different numbers/colors ,output a bit different a/c voltage. They varied from 95 volts to 115 volts. I dont think it will hurt anything putting a different number in. The difference I believe is they are trying to match the light brightness to the other lights in the console. I have an incorrect number in My IP lights and I have seen no diffence to speak of

The difference in the part numbers may be attributed to the difference in mounting methods. The one under the dash has a plastic fastener attached to the top that pushes through a hole to secure it in place (1989). The one in the console does not have this fastener. It uses something that wraps around it and secures by twisting balls.<P>Variations in manufacturing may attribute to differences in output voltage.<P>The bottom line is that it works.