Gas tank smudge

ACowboy

I let my gas tank sit too long with gas in it. It is not rusty and is in very good condition, but has a lot of smudge due to allowing the old fuel to sit for too long (smells like kerosene!). What special potion do I use to the clean out the smudge/gum in my fuel tank? I think that the make/model of the car doesn't matter here. But, in case you are curious it's a metal gas tank of the 20's generation.

With a Model A Ford that was stored for 16 years before I bought it, I hooked a hose up to the gasoline valve, drained the "goo", closed the valve, put a gallon or so of fresh gas in it, sloshed the gas around a bit (by pushing the car back and forth), opened the valve, drained it, removed the valve and let the last residue drain.

I then replaced the valve, used a modified gas line with a modern filter for the first month or so, and then hooked it up with the original gas line and have had no troubles at all.

Save the stuff you drain out. My husband says that when you mix that with old motor oil it makes a penatrant for old rusty parts like he has never seen. We bought a 1939 Dodge that had been sitting for quite a while with gas still in the tank. When nothing else will separate two parts he uses that.

Guest windjamer

I think por15 sells a kit to clean and seal a gas tank. I used it on a caddy tank that had set over ten years and the stuff I got out was unbelevable.I have also used murattic acid.Bottom line, if its worth cleaning clean it clean.

Guest windjamer

I assume the tank is off the car. When you get the kit put a short piece of chain (that you can retrive ) in the tank with the cleaner and slush it awrond. The chain will help remove the hard stuf. I think directions will tell you to flush good after use and let dry a day or two, then add sealer. Good luck

I had a tank that had a sticky sludge left in the tank after a "restoration"product went bad

after many years. I placed several handfulls of rocks, sand and gravel into the tank. I then

used a pressure washer (1500#) and "sandblasted" the inside. It took off everything including

rust.After removing all the sand (which took hours of flushing) I put in a few cans of dry

gas and re-instaled it. Perfect!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a tank that had a sticky sludge left in the tank after a "restoration"product went bad

after many years. I placed several handfulls of rocks, sand and gravel into the tank. I then

used a pressure washer (1500#) and "sandblasted" the inside. It took off everything including

rust.After removing all the sand (which took hours of flushing) I put in a few cans of dry

gas and re-instaled it. Perfect! </div></div>

A friend of mine had good luck loading up with similar material as you, closed off the filler hole and sender unit hole and strapped it in a cement mixer. Ran the mixer for awhile and then pressure washed it all out.