Headlight repair + Upstop repair

juddev

Hi, I am doing the headlight repair to my 90. drivers side gear came off fine and plastic dust came out, I know what to do with that one. The pass side gear doesnt want to come off, but the motor crank seems to turn the gears fine. Should I assume it is the motor or should I put a screw into the gear and use that to pull the gear off and check anyway. If I apply 12 volts to the motor will it just spin and by doing so tell me that all is well with the motor? If I want to try and fix the motor[if it is the motor}what is the preferable way to disasemble the motor for cleaning? I read about a screw that breaks off. And finally what do we do about the upstops, Mine are bad. <BR>Thanks guys {and Gals}

On the assembly that you have apart, you will notice there is a ridge on the plastic gear... the teeth do not go completly across the face. That is what is keeping the other gear from coming out.<P>Clamp the unit in a vice where you can turn the knob and pull on the shaft. I use vice grips on the shaft flats, taking care not to damage the shaft. If you pull on the shaft, wiggle it and turn the motor knob at the same time, the white plastic gear will come out. It will probably have bad rollers.<P>To reassemble reverse the procedure, but you don't need the vice grips, just push on the gear. <P>Don't take the motor apart unless there is a problem. I find a large number (90%)of the lower screws break and you will have a real fun time removing the broken screw. <P>I think we published the upstop fix in the Reatta newsletter. Most auto parts houses have the broken plastic nut. they come in blister packs...4-5 nuts for around $2.00<BR>you need nuts for a #8 screw.