I dood it.

padgett

OK, so maxed on info, bought 16x7 Enkeis, went to Sam's, bought 225x60x16 Michelin X-1 clones, everything mounted and balanced fine (except that weights had to go on inner rim of wheels due to design). Was even able to stay inside budget.<P>Some of my reasons were not for everyone so caveat y'all: <BR>Michelins - have the X-1s on two other vehicles now - these are same size as on Bonneville. They are long lasting, quiet, soft riding, and superb in rain. Besides there is a rebate on now 8*)<BR>Enkei "Etoria" wheels - price was what I could afford and is drilled for both big and little GM - could put on Fiero. Also it uses conical lug nuts and has a deep center which means I can retain the stock Reatta lug nuts and locks (locks to tall to fit on Bonneville wheels). Pie plate covers the lug valley so not visible. Has a raised hub surface so my alignment gauge works fine.<P>Fumble-fingered results from wife's camera can be seen on <A HREF="http://www2.gdi.net/~ldkp/enka.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www2.gdi.net/~ldkp/enka.jpg</A> and <A HREF="http://www2.gdi.net/~ldkp/enkb.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www2.gdi.net/~ldkp/enkb.jpg</A> <P>Can see in first picture how much of grille is covered by LeBra, need to have modified.<P>Now have new issue. Shoulda checked before but didn't however with new wheels & tires, front camber is reading on the edge of spec at -.8 degree (spec is 0 +/- .8) but rears are well over at almost -2 degrees (both same-same).<P>Looking in the FSM the spec for the rear campber is 0 +/- .5 but while there is a procedure to set toe, there is none for camber. How do you set rear camber on these cars ?<P>BTW earlier calculation of 38mm desired wheel offset is apparently incorrect. Have found that Bonneville 16x7 wheels have 46mm offset and some quick measurements using tread grooves as an indicator (tires appear symmetric) shows track has increased about an inch (61.3 front - 61.8 rear, difference may be partly in rear camber since cannot measure at midpoint).<P>A half inch per wheel is about 12mm so to stay the same an offset of 46-50mm appears appropriate for a 16x7. Meanwhile will live with my 38s but need to figure out how to reduce the camber on the rears & need to watch for increase in torque steer (none noticed is 5 mile drive)<P>So now must reduce camber on both rear tires. Anyone know how ?<p>[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: padgett ]

Chill, Padgett! The wheels look great! And throw away your slide rule, camber gauge and pocket protector. As you get older (much older), you start measuring your life tolerances in meters, not milimeters. (Drinking also becomes a matter of litres, not ounces!) Don't sweat the small stuff; if something rubs, wears, bends, chafes or breaks, it'll let you know. Enjoy your Reatta!<P>Best regards,<P>Jerry Sellers

I consider it more "attention to detail' - was secret weapon in winning SCCA & autocrossing (now that have Reatta, Fiero may become autocross car).<P>May be a touch AR - rear tires that came off show no uneven wear, just like to get things right.<P>Is entirely possible that combination of Michelin VSE and agressive driving may mean that -2 degrees is right - had more than that dialed into my B/P Corvette.<P>Pocket protector ? I do not even wear a wrist watch & consider that a luxury. One bic pen handles all of my writing needs. Do have a couple of slip sticks but haven't used in years.<P>Fact is I grew up with computers and have been making them do things their manufacturer's never expected for over thirty years now. Fixing cars is relaxation. Of course have been doing the same thing with cars for longer.<P>Am slowing down a little - took two cool-off romps through sprinklers to get tires mounted but think it was worthwhile.<P>Tomorrow think will look for a better camera than the DC-20, wife has an HP but is big and batteries keep going dead. My needs are less.

Ah, Padgett, you're okay. Attention to detail? I raced Zerby-built F-Birds (supercharged 6/9-pound variable-speed Paxton-McCullough '57 Thunderbirds) at Sebring, Florida, and kicked ass until Chev Division of GM protested. When they tore down our 312s, they discovered we'd bored them to the water jackets, then sleeved 'em. Developing 390+ h.p. Ran mine at Edward AFB in California on the quarter-mile (15 secs...ehh...) but 167 on the Air Force high-tech-measurement flying mile. And that was with really crappo wide-whitewalls available only through Pep Boys. It's a wonder we didn't become airborn. Really had to prep 'em: remove fender skirts, hubcaps, and windshield wipers, and tape the headlights. Wonder what it cost the government for us members of the Earlybirds of Southern California to screw around on government property...?

Exactly, except when I would get protested for pulling an A/P vette down the main straight the teardown would find a legal 327 (331) except they kept asking why such a wild cam never realizing that all of the magic was in the '380 FI they just set aside.<P>BTW have ruined more than one pair of shoes stepping in a soft spot at Muroc - ever get to "The Office" at 103rd before it burned down ?<p>[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: padgett ]

Guest Greg Ross

Ok Padgett I approve, very agressive looking stance and I believe you should like the handling. The color somehow looks awfully familiar though, perhaps you can economize and just cut and paste my spoiler and duals on to that beast of yours!<BR>Best regards,<BR>Greg grin.gif" border="0

Figured wife's camera out, pictures somewhat better now. Can see LeBra restriction & why had to open license plate flap.<P>Little fog lamps are ones with H4 (55w) bulbs & allow a little more air through opening. May go to just one on left and rig ram air (with water trap) though other.<p>[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: padgett ]