draining battery question...

ratop

ok, so i don't know if any of you guys saw my into, but gramps gave me an old 54 buick special and it's kinda rough. right now i'm tryin to figure out whats drainin the battery. it'll drain overnight and i'm wondering what the steps are to finding the problem. this is my first old car (hopefuly not the last), and i'm really hopoing u guys can help if i have any future questions

paul~

Pete's method is a good one.

You might also look for things which operate on a "ground" switch type of circuit--which operate with the ignition switch "OFF". This would include courtesy lights for the doors (which can also be turned on manually by turning the headlight switch knob all the way to the left, as going clockwise will dim the instument panel lights). In some cases, the underhood or trunk lid lights were run by mercury switches rather than contact switches. Might even be the clock (if equipped)!

In this diagnostic situation, current flow is more important that the amount of the current flowing. If you might have a digital volt-ohm meter, you might use the audible "continuity" function too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467