DaveCorbin

McLaughlin Information

Very interesting.  Was the sight glass a bit of a novelty item or was there a problem with the oil pump on these engines and the sight glass provided the driver with the constant ability to ensure oil flow?

More pictures.

DSCF9129.JPG

DSCF9130.JPG

DSCF9131.JPG

12 hours ago, Kevin McCabe said:

Along with the elderly electric fuel pump supplying gasoline to the carburetor in place of the vacuum tank, I could not find a port on the engine that would have been the original vacuum source for the tank.  Other than that,

Finally, at the curve from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe, there is a round hole in the manifold casting which provides a small view of the manifold inner details.  Should this hole be plugged?  No attempt yet has been made to start the car so how this hole will affect engine operation is not yet known.

I have a spare vacuum tank for this car I can sell you, from a 1918 E-49. I don't know if you want to strive for originality but if you do, the electric fuel pump should be removed if you can fix your vacuum tank or want to use mine. You say you can't find the port on your engine where the vacuum source would be, but I can see in your photo that the vacuum line from the engine is already attached to the vacuum tank, in your photo it goes from the very top of the vacuum tank to the intake manifold right above the carb. That's where it's supposed to be! The other fitting at the top of the vacuum tank, with no tube coming up, goes to atmosphere. I have a tube coming up on mine but it doesn't go anywhere, it doesn't need to, it just goes to the atmosphere. When the vacuum valve opens the atmosphere valve closes, and when the vacuum valve closes, the atmosphere valve opens, all depending on the float inside the vacuum tank. You should put a short piece of the thin tube to that atmosphere fitting, and bend it back down, so dust doesn't settle into it.

As for your second point above, I have a round hole in my exhaust manifold just like yours. There was originally a pipe leading hot air from the manifold surround at that point, to the carburetor surround, to heat up the outside of the carb to help evaporate the stuff they called gasoline in those days but was part kerosene and harder to evaporate. Almost everybody with these cars today has removed the pipe, because modern gasoline doesn't need that. Your hole doesn't need to be plugged because it doesn't conduct any exhaust gas, just heat. It was like a heat riser. I have the same hole and drive my car around and no exhaust gas comes out that hole.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)