1957 Oldsmobile AC update questions

Guest bobscads

Guest imported_bobscads

I have a 57 Olds with factory air conditioning. It doesn't work & I haven't gotten into it. When I do, I would like to update the system to be more effecient yet retain most of the original look. Someone suggested to start with an A-6 compressor. Any ideas? Send me a private email or post on the board. Thanks, Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a 371 and a 394 are basically the same. I guess what we need to figure out is if the stock compressor bracketS from a '57 371 are the same as a '61 394 (because that is the last year they used the big compressor). '62 is when they went to the A6. If '61 brackets are the same as '57, then '62-up A6 brackets shouldn't be a problem.

Paul

I don't know how you made out, but I researched and found that Oldsmobile compressor brackets have different part numbers for EVERY YEAR!

But I still don't see why you wouldn't be able to use '62 brackets on a '57 block. In service, they used to replace the old big 5 cylinder compressors with the A6 and offered an mounting packages for '59, '60 and '61 and a harness kit for '58.

Paul

Guest imported_bobscads

Hi Paul, I got the parts today from a 62 Olds. I mocked them up on a spare motor. Looks like I will have to "cheat" the brackets back about 3/8". Then I feel that they will work. Thanks for your inputs. I think darn near EVERY Olds part # is different for EVERY year. I can't understand it, totally unlike all the other GM divisions. Regards, Bob