1995 OIds Cutlass convertible issues

Reatta Man

I'm trying to buy a 1995 Olds Cutlass convertible with the 3.4 DOC engine. I've heard both good and bad things about that engine.

Does anyone have any suggestions such as trouble spots about that engine or the car in general I need to watch out for>

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Joe

Far as I know, the 3.4 is a pretty reliable engine. I know that an alternator replacement on that car/engine combo is a complicated and time consuming job- suspension cradle has to be dropped out of the car to access it. Other than that, these cars are no worse mechanically than other GM of the same era. A friend has a coupe and has been well satisfied with it for nearly 200k miles now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Far as I know, the 3.4 is a pretty reliable engine.</div></div>

But when they break, they break big time. Timing parts can be an issue and are getting hard to come by. And if timing parts break, this an interference engine, so there will be bent valves. These engines, like the 3.1s, like to leak oil at the oil pump drive cover o-ring. This is not a big deal on a 3.1, but requires head removal on a 3.4. Intake gaskets can be an issue just like they can on 3.1s. Ditto what Glenn said about alternator replacement.

The last 3.4 we had in the shop managed to jump time. The customer junked it.

Paul