sticking throttle

Guest edalfa

So far I have run into a few things that need to be straightened out on my 40 Special. The most pressing is that occasionally the throttle will stick.Usually it happens on the 2-3 shift but a few times it has happened at startup.

I disconnected the carb to pivot rod and the pivot seems to work smoothly as does the throttle itself. The carb(Carter) has been recently overhauled and seems to respond cleanly. When it occurs I can pull up on the throttle rod, where it passes through the floor, to correct things. Is this a common issue? I was thinking that my next step is to pull back the floor mat to examine the area where the rod passes through. Is there some kind of grommet here that might be binding? The shop manual that I have does not address the linkage in any meaningful way.

Ed Sheehy

Mechanical linkages are always subject to wear. Buick throttle linkages did not have lube fittings like the old mechanical brake systems. So, most simply didn't get lubricated. Check each linkage joint for grooves in the rod bearing surfaces. Smooth them with a file and lubricate with motor oil. Also make sure the rods are not bent or rubbing where they go through holes in the floor or near other engine parts. If this doesn't solve the problem, you might have the carb checked again.

Guest tin knocker

A word of caution. I recently changed carbureators on my 37 Special and that required some changes in the throttle connection. The new carb has the starter switch on the carb and starts by depressing the accelerator to engage the starter. Every thing was fine but I noticed that sometimes the throttle would stick. One day I stepped on the gas pedal to start up and the gas pedal stuck in full throttle position and the starter was unable to disengage. With the motor racing I killed the ignition but it was too late and fried my starter. I discovered that I didn't bend over the cotter pin where the accelerator rod connects to the carb and it worked loose and caused the jamb. It would certainly be cheaper and easier to fix the linkage than go through that headache.

Rollie

Today she ran fine but it had a few days for the oil that I squirted on to work it's way in. I looked at the mounts and they seemed ok but I think that I will replace them as a precaution. I've attached a picture of my baby.

Ed

post-41563-143137912403_thumb.jpg