Possible mileage verifier?

Barney Eaton

Your scientific method will probably not hold water..... <BR>I have a 44k car that when purchased at 24k the first owner must have shut the door on the seat belt daily. My 80k car has much less wear in that area.<P>It probably has more to do with the owner and how they release the belt and how the belt take up mechanism handles the release.

Have noticed something on my 3 90's. The mileages are 60k,90k,and 120k. There is a spot on each where the ammount of missing paint corresponds closely with the mileage.<BR>At first I couldn't figure why the wear showed, then I figured it out. On the bottom of the doors, where the sill plate is there is an area of missing paint and its caused by closing the door on the seat belt end! The drivers door is always the worse and the ammt of wear seems to correspond with mileage<BR>or use..the six doors on mine do, with the right door about10% as bad as the left. A coincidence? My high mileage car has far more wear than my low with the middle miles car in the middle... on both doors. I have also looked at several other reatta's and noticed a similar indication. Has anyone else noticed a correlation? Take a look, maybe this info could be useful to prospective buyers.

I meant for my unscientific observation as a possible indicator much like wear on pedals, locks etc. Not 100% but....just another check. The use and care of seat belt is a def factor. Thanks barney.