1936 buick 40 valve cover and air cleaner

Thanks to Zonda C12 and groselle...the headlight and tail light mystery is

over !! Had a bad fuse.Now,I have removed the valve cover for re painting.

I sanded off the old decal and now I don't remember if the louver goes in the front of the valve cover or the rear.My thoughts are the front for cooling but that's a guess.Also does anyone know how the air cleaner comes apart to remove the old copper filter.Thanks again, Bob, N.Y.

Bob,

The louvered vents on my '36 go to the rear of the engine. The air cleaner should also come apart easily. Mine is the heavy duty type. It is held in place by a long bolt with a wing nut type of head. You loosen this bolt to remove the air cleaner from the car. If the bolt is completely loosend the canister opens up and the copper mesh can be removed (although it's still in a metal carrier frame). You may have a "normal" air cleaner so I've attached a picture of what the heavy duty type look like:

aircleaner.jpg

Hope this helps. Greg

Guest ZondaC12

hey groselle i noticed you started to tear into the '36 again!

i check your site all the time, at least once a week. yours, bill's 1950 woodie, and matt harwoods sites i check about weekly, lol. its just so cool watching the process go, and hopefully remembering some tips for someday when ill be doing the same thing....

btw-- NICE new garage, the buick seems tiny in there! ahh nothing like more space right?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Bob:

I noticed Greg's comment about regular and heavy duty air cleaners. His comment is correct, except where he lives (New Mexico) the heavy duty one is the regular one. Cars going west of the Missippi River or to export all got the heavy duty air cleaner standard. East of the river, you could order it factory installed.

The nice brass air cleaner mesh is available at any grocery store. Look for heavy duty brass pot scrubbers in kitchen supplies. You'll need 6-8 pads. They can be slipped in the big holes and slid into position. Pour the oil thru the brass mesh and up to the proper level in the bottom pan. DO NOT OVERFILL !!!! Overfilling will cause the engine to suck in the excess. It's the oil on the mesh that traps the dust. A bit crude, but very effective.

Regards, Dave Corbin