plastic cam sprockets?

Guest trofeo73

Guest trofeo73

I went to an autoparts store and bought a new timing chain. In the catalog I could have also ordered an "iron" cam gear. Please tell me my 89 3800 did'nt come with the plastic gear! I thought some of the earlier 3.8s had the plastic gear?

NEVER replace the timing chain assembly with a nylon coated sprocket. This was GM's way of damaging the engine with loose plastic particles from the sprockets clogging the oil galleries and loosing rod bearings, ultimately throwing a rod through the block.<P>Most all 1967 thru late 70's 430 and 455 Buick engines have suffered this fate.<P>This was one of GM's big screw ups. Always replace with cast iron sprockets.

If in doubt & you're looking for piece of mind .... call your local (friendly) GM parts dept & ask 'em to run the VIN of your car to find out if if has the plastic coated gears. Chances are, it'll have steel ones.

I believe Buick stopped using plastic-coated sprockets in the mid-80s. The last engine used in a Buick to have them that I know of was the 307 cu. in. V-8 used in the 80-85 Riviera and later in the RWD Buick Estate wagon through about 1990. <P>The 307 was not a Buick engine; it was made by Oldsmobile and supplied to other divisions. <P>Joe

By the way, you ARE replacing the harmonic balancer when you replace the timing chain, AREN'T you? (Nod your head up and down or put the dunce cap on and go sit in the corner!)<P>Seriously, though, the balancer is THE big weak spot on the 3.8, so I strongly recommend a new one. <P>Now, about replacing the water pump.....