Engine Knocking (2nd Post)

Good Morning Again,<P>Searched previous posts regarding harmonic balancer failure and I am convinced that it is the problem that I am experiencing! So, I am off to the Buick Dealer to purchase balancer (NAPA doesn't cross reference one shocked.gif" border="0 ) Also, I am planning to replace the crank sensor since I am way into that job, as well. Anyway, thanks in advance for any comments and will let everyone know outcome of my Saturday morning Reatta repair.

I don't recommend getting one from your Buick dealer. They will sell you a unit made for them by one of two companies making harmonic balancers for the 3.8 engine. The unit sold by Buick will likely have a 90-day or 6 month warranty. It should run about $189-$229 at the dealer, depending how much he marks his prices up. <P>I recommend the unit sold by AutoZone. It is the same one made for AC-Delco and sells for $99.95 with a lifetime warranty. I replaced the original on my car, then lost the balancer again when a bracket rubbed against it and superheated the metal. AutoZone handed me another unit less than three months later for absolutely no charge. If you don't have an AutoZone in your area, check with anyone selling these balancers with a lifetime warranty. It will save you money!<P>Joe

Joe,<P><BR>Thanks for the advice on Autozone, NAPA finally came through with a part number for the balancer and I bought it from them (138.00 plus tax). The bracket for vibration dampening was rubbing the balancer but I managed to pull it away from the balancer, sufficiently, to eliminate the overheating issue. I think I will check it again this morning though. I appreciate the feedback.

I replaced the balancer on my '89 about 3 yrs ago, at which time the only source was Buick--for $172.00. Clanking was the clue. I also discovered that there is a fail-safe built into the balancer in the form of interlocking 'fingers' between the two pieces which prevents excessive rotation and subsequent total screwing up of the timing. I had the same problem with the bracket and solved it with washers on one end of the bracket.