1937 Roadmaster rear axel seal question

37_Roadmaster_C

Hello All,

I need some input from anyone who has worked on the rear axel of a 37 roadmaster. I purchased a set of seals from an old Buick supplier which were listed as being for a 37 series 80 & 90. I have now pulled the axels and have run into a problem. The seals I bought were a leather lip seal and a felt disc/washer. The seals in the car are both leather lip seals. The shop manual for this car is of little help as it conflicts... in one section it states that the rear bearings are lubricated with oil from the differential, and in another section it states that they are greased. My car appears to be greased as it uses lip seals on both sides of the bearing. Any help, input or thoughts would be apperciated.

Just to clarify, I am refering to the outer bearing area of the axel. I am rebuilding the brakes and don't want to take the risk of an oil/grease leak dammaging the new brakes. The car has not been on the road since 1952 so I am just being extra fussy with my rebuild.

Thanks All,

Robin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Robin:

My 1941 Buick parts book shows Group 5.823 as the rear wheel oil bearing seal P/N 1296913 Inner seal and 1296879 outer seal. These parts are used on 1937-38-39-40 80 & 90 and on 1941 90 series cars. A car takes 2 of each and also needs Group 5.819 rear wheel oil bearing seal gasket 1297949, same model and years as previous and also needs 2. I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Robin:

Find the oldest parts guy you can at a Buick dealer or at NAPA. Ask if the Buick guy has a superceded number list and work from there. Ask the NAPA guy if his seal cross references go back to 1940-1941. My guess is that these seals might have also been used in later Chevy or GMC 1 ton truck axles, maybe as late as 1955.

Regards, Dave Corbin