Trippe Lights

Tim Wolfe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are Trippe lights correct for a 1930 Model 70 Chrysler?</div></div>

From the 2006 Offical Judging Manual - Exterior - Page 19 - Item 10

"Trippe and Pilot Ray driving lights are accepted on classic cars and certain pre-WWII production vehicles."

I checked the list of the Specified Classic Vehicles and did not see that the Chrysler Model 70 was on the list. I could not locate, or missed, the list of the pre-WWII cars that they would be accepted on. Hopefully someone with that list will post those for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a paint color that was listed for an Imperial but not the Model 70?</div></div>

Again per the judging manual - Exterior - Page 17 - Item 2

"A vehicle may be painted any authentic color available for the model year of that vehicle. Lacquer may be used in place of enamel and enamel may be used in place lacquer, if final finish appears as it did originally. Any type finish (lacquer, enamel, acrylics, etc.) may be used if the final finish simulates the original finish."

You would need to pick a color that was available for the Model 70 that year or it would be considered incorrect.

Per the judging sheet on page 14 that shows the deductions for items under the heading of Exterior, there is a mandatory decution of ten points if the car is painted an incorrect color. If you have not seen a judging sheet there is a 10 with a circle around it. That means that the exterior judge must take that deduction if the color is incorrect.

Susan has promoted me to President, I am not! I will try to get you the expert answer. Trippe's are an accessory so we really have not kept a list of cars that qualify for their use any more.

Paint color, our criteria is pretty simple. Correct color for the year and model and you are ok. Painting a color that was never offered by the manufacturer on that model would cause a deduction of points.

If Trippe lights were an accessory they could have been used any any car if the money was available. The list doesn't seem to be available for reference. So, if you were to put these lights on a car, would you be hit with a point deduction at a show? What about other items that could have been added to a car? I'm sure that I'm not the only one interested in this. Over the years I've owned these cars I have collected several accessory items available when the cars were new. I need to know what I can add to the car when I have it restored. The accessories would have to be restored too at a great cost. Can you help out here?

Tim, a good thought would be to forget the accessories. If it isn't there, they can't deduct. For example if there was a right hand outside rearview mirror available for your car, and it happened to have some pits or scratches on it, there would be a point or two deduction. In this case, if the optional mirror wasn't there, you'd have a higher score. that one or two points could possibly keep you from getting your award.

Yes, I know everyone wants the options on the car and why, but it boils down to do you want to take the risk of an un-necessary point deduction because of that option.

All the options you put on a car work the same as the paint. It must have been available from the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle's year, make and model. If a judge questions whether it is right, you'll be asked for documentation. I personally wouldn't put anything on the car that I could not prove to be correct with documentation from the vehicle's manufacturer.