Who do you Have Mount Your Tires?

materal

This is a somewhat general question about tires but it has relevance to Lincoln Zephyr's because of what happened to mine.

I was driving my 40 sedan about two months ago when I had a tread separation on the back right tire. The tread literally peeled off the tire carcass and made the most horrible racket when it flew up in the fender well. I was driving about 45 mph at the time and I thought the back end of the car had fallen off. Well, it didn't thank goodness but I soon realized that the nearly 20 year old generic brand wide whites that are on the car were well past their useful life. I think the previous owner put them on in the early 80's. Luckily, I was able to limp home albeit with a nerveracking ricketey thumping from that side. At any rate, I need new tires and I'm mustering resources for that. This brings me to my question. When you all have ordered tires for your cars, how do you do it? Do you get them yourself from a Coker or Lucas and then take the tires and the car to your nearest Belle Tire or Discount Tire (for those of us in Michigan!)? Do you look for a special kind of shop that has experience in being a little more careful with the vehicle as opposed to your nearest tire chain store?

Matt

Having been in the automotive repair business for over thirty years, I would take it to a local garage or tire shop with older mechanics. In the dealership I work at, there are young guys that don't have any clue about changing tires with tubes. Most don't realy care to learn. Visit the shop without the car and check out there employees. Just because the guy behind the counter seems all knowing doesn't mean he is going to monitor your tire replacement.Good luck.

I have read articles in LZOC suggesting that tubeless tires *can* be mounted to the older rims -- something about DOT regulations, etc. Anyone try this? Would make our lives easier if it worked, but I don't have any experience or opinion beyond what I've read.