Droopy Emergency brake cable

Guest grkman1

Hello

Yesterday, after having Chrome wheels installed on my Reatta, I noticed that my brake cable was hanging down from under the car. I asked the attendant to look at it for me, thinking they may have done this.

Looking under the car, it seems the previous owner attached it to the bottom of the car with an erector set type of metal. The Red Brake light came on. I placed it back under the metal, and the light went off. This morning it is on again.

Is this a common problem with the REatta? Have others had brake cable problems? What can I do to fix this problem.

Thanks for your continous help

• 4 weeks later...
Guest grkman1

I just heard from my mechanic who did a complete check of my 88 Reatta. he states it is in great condition. I had asked him to check out the emergency brake. He claism that both rear calipers need to be changed to rectifiy the problem.

The brake cable does not work. Has anyone else heard about this

Thanks

Check around back of the shop I think the mechanic has a boat payment due.

The switch for the emergency brake is inside near the pedal. Pretty easy to get out of adjustment. Cheap to fix.

How did he determine that you need new calipers to solve the brake problem?

The emergency brake cables can break and / or get sticky.

The back brakes on these cars are very hard to repair and get fixed right.

Most mechanic make it worse after a big repair bill.

Guest maybe2fast

okay...here is the solution. my e-brake cable was limp since I have had the car. it doesn't ratchet at all. I looked under the dash and saw the cable not attached to the pedal. I pulled up on the cable and it rose the cable to back tight against the car.