radio not working

grog

The radio on my 49 chrysler isnt working, my fater -in-law said it work 10 yrs ago when he had it , the tubes all light up when power is on but no sound, I have a new antenna and check all the connections...anyone have any experence with these radios or know of a vintage radio repair shop ?

thnaks Mark

Here is the best explaination I have ever seen about the workings of the old tube car radios:

http://members.cox.net/dcosby1/

Scroll down and click on the "Auto radio information" page.

Usually the vibrator is stuck. These can be fixed or replaced, now they have solid state vibrators that don't "stick" or "hum".

The other thing that goes is the capacitors. These cost from 35 cents to a dollar apiece and there are 10 or 20 of them in each radio.

Tubes are long lived and seldom give trouble.

There are old time radio hobbyist and repair people all over the country. I know of at least 3 within 50 miles of me and I live in a small town of 15000. I'm sure there is someone in your area who can help you out if you ask around or do a web search.

I could give you the names of my guys. They will help you out but they are in Canada, you should be able to find someone local.

By the way avoid anyone who tells you to gut the radio and turn it into a transistor. He is a hack who doesn't know what the hell he is talking about and if you listen to him he will sell you a cheap $35 radio for $800 bucks.

If you have a good tube radio you will be amazed at the distant stations it will draw in and the mellow tone, unlike the harsh tinny modern radios.

You can also get an FM receiver that will play thru your tube radio.

• 4 years later...
Guest radiodoc
The radio on my 49 chrysler isnt working, my fater -in-law said it work 10 yrs ago when he had it , the tubes all light up when power is on but no sound, I have a new antenna and check all the connections...anyone have any experence with these radios or know of a vintage radio repair shop ?

thnaks Mark

I repair clasic car radio, tube/ transistor. No FM conversions

Barry Dalton-Antique Radio Doctor

1489 Rogue River Hwy

Grants Pass, OR 97527

541 474 2524

radiodoc@rvi.net

Radio Days | KDRV