FS 1917 Overland Model 75

Guest c.johnson

Guest c.johnson

Just finished from complete restoration, and back from it's first parade!

1917 Overland model 75. 4 dr, red & blk with white pinstripe, natural wood wheels. Would make a great touring car. Price: 20k (Dad wants to sell to finish other projects)In northern Utah. Email me, lots of pictures available.

Guest c.johnson

Additional information; Dads story;

34 years ago my sons, a couple friends and I pulled some junk cars from a swamp near Cokeville Wyoming. I later wrote a story of the adventure that appeared in the Horseless Carriage Gazette Magazine. After some reevaluating the old 1917 Overland I wondered if it would ever be restored. Later my dear close friend located and purchased a car like mine. My friend began trying to restore his and asked me to help him. I did what I could with the time I had. My friend then began to have heart problems so I took his engine to my shop and began the restoration; I also began to work on my engine I had put aside. My friend then had to have by pass surgery and became more ill. Another friend helped him with some of the wood work but had trouble with the body sheet metal it was too far rusted away. My friend found a complete body in an old dealership and purchased it and brought it home, but the 1917 body was different and wouldn?t fit, his car was a 1915. Another heart by pass and I told my friend to bring the entire car to my shop and I would put both cars together and only charge him for the parts. My friend became more ill. I promised him I would have his car done so he could drive it before he died. I finished his car, painted it emerald green and pinstriped just before Thanksgiving Day. A friend and I loaded the car on a trailer to return to his town. A neighbor helped with the upholstery and my friend was able to drive his car around the block 3 times, before he died in December. The car stood proudly on the walkway to the chapel door during the funeral, all compleated.

I have since finished the restoration on my 1917 Model 75 and would like to sell it. The engine was reparable, I installed cylinder sleeves, aluminum pistons, new bearings, and valves refashioned from a big cam Cummings distle. To improve the old oil system I installed a VW oil pump driven off the back of the cam shaft with an angel gear box and a filter. The oil system is like that from the 40ies Chevy. The transaxle is a 1918 that I retrieved from a desert ranch; I completely rebuilt it and installed Timken bearings. Rear springs are new, new brake drums I built. The frame is from 3 other cars pieced together. The body is the original my friend found in the old dealership, I reworked. I made hood, running boards, panel aprons, fender parts, the wooden wheels and steering wheel. The upholstery is new and seat springs are new that I sewed and installed. The metal parts of the top bows I salvaged from junk, and also made pieces, then formed the wood top bows; I sewed the top material and installed it. I painted and striped the car. The generator has an integrated circuit voltage cutout. There are many other parts that I made. The tires are new.

I have restored many old cars; the first was back in 1949. At one time I had operated my own auto body shop and restored many cars. I later became interested in tooling and machine work. For the last 20 years I have operated my own tooling shop. I retired and now am working on an older Overland and a couple T Fords.

Lots of pictures!! Email me...

• 1 year later...
Guest c.johnson

Having trouble posting pics...they are too big & I don't have enough software to resize them...

email me, or PM me & I would be glad to send them to you.

Thanks,

• 3 years later...
Guest emilio555

Hi CJ

Great post you have here. I was hoping if possible, could you share some information with me?

I'm helping out my father-in-law with this posting from Down Under (Australia) though he has his vehicle in Croatia, where it is the oldest registered car in the country. His passion is participating in Old Timer Rallies and is a retired mechanic by trade (as am I).

My father-in-law is a very proud owner of a 1916 Model 75 but is having some trouble with the steering. He tells me when he hits bumpy patches in the road with both front wheels at the same time, his steering becomes extremely unsteady. He has adjusted everything listed in his original Owners Manual regarding the steering worm and gear, but without any change.

Can you offer any advice regarding what you would do to remedy the situation or if a replacement steering rack is required, would you have any that could be considered useable or know of anywhere we could enquire to purchase something in serviceable condition?

Any hints or contacts to chase would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Emil

Guest c.johnson

My knowledge of Overlands is very limited. My guess would be the wheels have play in them somewhere.

You may want to repost this in the tech section to find a real expert on your steering problem. Another idea is the Willys Overland Knight Registry tech section @ www.wokr.org

Good luck,

Hi CJ, It was very interesting to read your storey re the Overland restoration. My brothers and I live in Adelaide South Australia and are attempting to restore my grand father's 1916 model 83 Overland that was pulled apart in 1946 and parts left out under the trees. We have bought a model 83 rolling chassis on ebay and will use it as parts for our car. I was interested to read that you made your own brake drums, did you do that by heating and rolling them into shape or did you weld a rolled ring onto the flat disk? I hope you find a good home for your car, Regards John Magarey

Guest emilio555

Thanks very much for your response. I will continue with my quest by posting on your suggested site...

Regards

Emil

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see pics of your 1917 WO. I have a 1919 WO that is almost a complete car except the top which im working on now, making a header and need a few ash stringers to complete it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...