Carlisle Question

boettger

Was anyone else stuck in the parking lot near the Armory (gate 6) on Friday afternoon at Carlisle.<BR>We're real curious as to what the big delay<BR>(over four hours) frown.gif" border="0 trying to get out onto Calvery Road. Just doesn't seem right.<BR>Might feel better about the delay if we kenw what was the hold-up. grin.gif" border="0

Steve, <BR>I was there from Thursday through Saturday helping a friend sell. We had no problems on any of the days getting in or out, but heard about the problems on Rt 11. Have you ever tried coming in off of High Street exit of I-81 and going into the square? Turn right on Pitt Street past the square and follow Pitt to around I Street which will put you at Gate 2. So easy and never a tie up. Thursdays crowd was light, Friday and Saturday was very busy just like the old days. I feel it was just because of the crowd size and everyone using Rt.11<BR>Rick

Steve like Rick said there is more than one way to get in and out. We park by the armory and usually the money takers are passing out a paper at the end of the day that gives directions to miss the mess. We go to the Turnpike but it has direction for other main roads also. Its a simple 3 or 4 turn route that gets us out in 15 mins, no matter how bad the traffic is the other way. Check it out next time. Doug

I missed Carlisle this year, 1st time since 1992. The last few years I've been going on Friday with my brother, who insists on parking in the Gate 6 lot. At 5:00PM it's always at least 1 hour to get out of there.<P>The fastest way out of that lot is to turn left, go over the turnpike, and take back roads over to 11 between the interstates so you can backtrack to the turnpike entrance. The papers DugSin mentions describe that route. If that bridge was closed, and <I> everyone </I> had to take 11 out of Carlisle proper to leave the Fairgrounds area, 4 hours would be about right.<P>No matter what, never park a car at Carlisle without enough gas in it to idle a few hours and drive about 50 miles. <P>I've been going to Carlisle since 1978. (I have a picture of me taken there up on top of the hill in whats now the North Field, there aren't even any campers parked up there!) The High Stret Route is easily the fastest way in and out of Carlisle during "rush hour". There are also still a few places with free parking in town towards High St. that are not an unreasonable walk from the Fairgrounds. Just don't buy 2 1969 Coronet bumpers at the same time and carry them yourself! shocked.gif" border="0 Also the KFC is up that way for some less-then-gouge-priced food and drink. <P>My brother parks in the Gate 6 lot because he's in the habit of buying cast iron intakes and heads without remembering to bring a wagon. It's a great lot for that, you can't park closer to the action. But don't get there too late or it fills up(around 8:00AM), and don't be in a hurry to leave!

My buddy and I went saturday and parked by Gate 1 in the vol. fire dept. sponsored grass lot, about a block from the gate. got there about 7:30-7:45 am no problems. Left around 2ish, no problems. Ofcourse it didn't hurt that my buddy is from mechanicsburg wink.gif" border="0 . We also avoided the I-78 nightmare detour by using old route 22 going and some back state route roads coming back to the lehigh valley. Coming back was close, though. Coming to exit 12 on I-78 and you could see in the distance all the traffic was stopped, and we wisely made the quick decision to get off at 12, along with a nice 60's eldo convertable and a galaxy I think on a flat bed.

Thanks all for your replies.<BR>I think the biggest problem this year with the parking near gate 6 was the construction on the bridge over the Turnpike.<BR>That meant there waws only one way in and out.<BR>I expect and can live with delays o faround 1 hour at 5:00 P.M., mad.gif" border="0 but there were a bunch of unhappy shoppers that had to wait nearly four hours to get out of the armory parking area. When we saw this situation at 4:30 we went back to the flea market. Wasn't too bad at 7:00 P.M. , but those that had been sitting in their cars at 4:00 were still in the driveway at 7:00 P.M. NOT GOOD!

I was there from Wed thru the weekend-I favor Rt I-81, it goes around the whole mess. Since Im in row P, I just slip out that gate by the John Deere dealer, cross over to College St, turn left and it takes me right out to High St. Right turn, and keep going until you pick up the signs for Rt 81. If you need to get back on the PA Turnpike you'll get off on 11South, going opposite way of all the exiting traffic. Its always better, and also takes me right past my favorite little beer store so I can stock up on some Yungling (don't think that'll be in Spell Check!) I think its the only thing I like better than krispy Kremes! By-the-way, Carlisle was enjoyable, there seemed to be a bit more older stuff there than usual (or am I getting younger?) For you DFr's - no need to carry heavy parts around, feel free to drop them at my spot while you shop (small stuff only tho). Will be there in the fall on M75 right next to Pinky Randall (Mr. Chevy)