Rear-View Mirror Drops off - Need Fix!!!

tjenkins

Help...<P>Car in warm weather today, sun beating down on the windshield. When I wasn't looking smile.gif" border="0, the rear view mirror just dropped off.<P>Seems the glue that holds the small thick metal mounting plate gave way.<P>I'm set to go to NAPA or Checkers - does anyone know if what they have works, and if so, do I need to 'prep' the area somehow?<P>--Tom

Any auto parts store, probably even a K Mart type, will have a rear view mirror adhesive kit for about three dollars. It consists of a cleaner prep and an adhestive. It should take about 15 minutes to reattach the mirror bracket to the glass. Last about 10 years.

the kit should come with glue and cleaning pad and instructions, be sure to mark on the outside of the windshield where you'll put the metal piece before you clean the inside. I clean the area first with a razor blade then the cleaning fluid following what directions they give. Be careful to install metal mounting curve side UP - wait the glue dry time, then when you put the mirror on metal mounting do not over tighten!<P>Richard

Hey Tom. I am not sure if You did Your mirror yet but if You havent I always leave the mounting plate on the windshield after glueing it back on for a couple of hours to let the adhesive cure real good. I havent had one fall off yet by doing it. Then when You put Your mirror back on the chances of it falling off are alot less.