BRAKES???

while driving today the brake light and abs light came on. message on crt warned of low brake pressure. went into diagnostics and it showed current code B482 and a history code C553. what do these mean? both warning lights went out when i restarted engine. has anyone else experienced this? confused.gif" border="0

Guest wally888

You won't see any codes on the CRT re. Brakes except, "Low Press". "Low Fluid", etc..<BR> Go to site below, Test Brakes. Read.<BR> Never drive w/ Red light on!<BR> Your brake system suffered a pressure loss for no apparent reason. You may have a Very Serious Problem! Park it until.......

I agree with Wally, don't drive the car till the brakes are stable. Whenever the red light comes on after the car has been started, there is a pressure loss. I had the same problem. It took a very long time for the red/amber light to go out after I started the car. Then with about every third press on the brake pedal the lights would come back on for a moment and go out. I replaced the Accumulator which cured the problem until the next day. The pressure switch went out too. I replaced that and now all is well. The most common problems are: Bad brake relay, failing accumulator, bad brake pressure switch, bad wiring in the braking circuit, failed or failing pump motor, or combination as in my case. Howard

My ABS light was taking longer and longer to go out [thought still within average range], so I decided to change the fluid. Was bleeding the calipers and noted that the front pads were worn to less than 1/64th" [so that's what all the noise was, the low pad tang scraping the rotor!]. What surprised me, other than my stupidity in waiting, was how evenly both pads within each caliper had worn!. In a single piston system, you usually see one side wear more than the other. Rebuilt the calipers, bled all, and everything is fine again.