Power window pump

FordJunkie

Originally, hydraulic window systems used brake fluid. To fill the system you had to lower all the windows. Then you remove the reservior can under the pump. There's a bail that holds it in place. Add fluid to the "full" line marked and slightly indented on the reservoir can.

Many folks have converted their systems to ATF. The ATF isn't corrosive like brake fluid but will distroy old hoses made prior to 1953. Replacing the hoses with modern hydraulic material will take care of this problem.

Guest imported_V12Bill

1946 and early 47s the resevoir had to be removed to fill it, but the late 47s and 1948 models had a fill openning that was less messy to fill supply.

Bill

I just happened to be scannng through my copy of "Haggerty's" newsletter and saw a piece on Lincoln power window pumps. For what it's worth, it states:

"Hydraulic fluid isn't generally recommended because it can become gummy and cause problems with time. Lincoln experts Narragansett Reproductions (www.narragansettreproductions.com) have been using Marvel Mystery Oil (www.turtlewax.com) in Lincoln window lifts since 1960. Its experts report that the hydraulic systems work well with the oil and that spills and leaks don't cause paint damage."

Sounds good to me! I converted the hydraulic windows in my 1947 Continental to electric in 1968 and the space where the hydraulic pump used to be is now occupied by a Bendix Hydro-Vac power brake booster.

The attached photo was taken at the Salt River in Phoenix in 1971, getting ready for some tubing. The Lincoln was a daily driver in those days.

post-32768-143137907037_thumb.jpg

And strangely enough Phil, some of us old dinosaurs still think an original Z or Connie is a great daily driver, and see no need to jack it up and put a new L town-car under it, and the old antique hydraulics will work just great with ATF, electric windows are for Cadillacs!!! Rolf

Yeah, I know *BUT* when I bought the '47 Continental in 1964 (for $300) it had already donated a lot of parts to another Continental and forty+ years ago it was semi-acceptable to dump the V-12 in favor of an Olds or Cadillac engine. At LEAST I put a '57 Lincoln 362 ci V-8 engine in mine!

The hydraulic windows didn't work and I had a set of electric windows in the '57 Lincoln donor car as well as an automatic transmission (my wife refuses to drive a stick shift). I also added a power brake booster and power steering. The conversion served us really well for almost 10 years and nearly 100,000 miles until the already well used engine got really tired. The re-done naugahyde upholstery began to look pretty shabby so I just parked the car. I STILL have it though! Attached photo taken in 1997.

If anybody is interested, I have a pictorial history of the '47 Continental at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/33590926dAmhsj

How did we get started on this? I started out to post some information I found about using Marvel Mystery Oil instead of ATF to replace brake fluid in the hydraulic window system!!!

post-32768-14313790704_thumb.jpg

• 12 years later...

Please Help !

Looking for a replacement for my worn out 1941 Lincoln Custom's Hydraulic Window Pump.

System is all Hydraulic for the windows for both Up and Down Window motion

Could also use a 1941 Packard Hydraulic Window Pump.

respond to:

Joseph Palmer