GM antenna mast replacement defective

Jim

A couple of weeks ago someone was looking for the part number for the replacement antenna mast. I posted the correct GM part number of 22038195. Yesterday I ordered 4 of them from GM and tried to install them. It turns out GM is now getting these top sections made in China and they are defective. Right where the nylon band is crimped to the top antenna section, the Chinese failed to crimp this area tight enough and it then binds up when sliding through the second antenna section. I tried recrimping this area but all I did was misshape the area. I then got it back to as round as possible and then filed/ground down the area so it would slide in the second section. You do have to be careful to not grind/file away too much of the metal.

Jim...... I have seen the same problem and I have about 15 setting on the shelf.

The first thing I do is test fit the new part into the old one. If it does not slide smoothly I find the high spot and gently flatten it with a hammer. Measure again and test fit again. It adds a few minutes to the rebuild but where are you going to get parts except from GM.