Help! - Sap removal?

OldsDoug

I took a brand new truck camping the weekend I bought it, and got sap all over it. I was sick. I thought I ruined my new truck. I called a detail shop, and they told me to get it in as soon as possible, so they could clean and wax it, before it ruined the paint. I got called to work, and didn't make it in to get it done.

I then found out why they wanted me to hurry in so fast. After the sap got hard and aged for a week, it washed right off, no problem.

Go to an auto paint store and get a gallon of pre-cleaner. This product is sold under various brand names and is used to remove wax and other contaminants prior to painting a car. It's a fairly strong solvent but won't damage paint or plastic. I use it often to remove tar and adhesive residue. You don't need the expensive DuPont or PPG brand pre-cleaner; the inexpensive house brand will do. I think this is just a slightly stronger version of Goo Gone, to be honest.

A simple cleaning clay will do the trick (excellent for over spray also) plus get all the contaminants out of your paint surface. If you ever wonder why your paint feels bumpy after you wash and dry it dirt, etc is stuck in the paint. Clay removes all, contains no strong chemicals that could harm the paint and a follow up with wax will make your car gleam.

• 1 month later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I took a brand new truck camping the weekend I bought it, and got sap all over it. I was sick. I thought I ruined my new truck. I called a detail shop, and they told me to get it in as soon as possible, so they could clean and wax it, before it ruined the paint. I got called to work, and didn't make it in to get it done.

I then found out why they wanted me to hurry in so fast. After the sap got hard and aged for a week, it washed right off, no problem. </div></div>I don't think they were trying to rip you off, just being cautious. I havent' seen it with tree sap, but some contaminants ( birds eggs being one ) can get right into the paint and ruin it. I would try warm water first and if that didn't work, a pre-cleaner as suggested or an air dry synthetic enamel reducer ( NOT thinners or acrylic enamel reducers ).

Guest windjamer

Doug, Im new to the forum and a computer, so I dont know if you will get this,but ill try. I use Monsey bug and asphelt remover.Pure citrus cleaner. Works grate, smells like orange juice.If this dos come through, mark June 28--30 on your calender.My club is hosting spring Nat.Meet in Binghamton NY. Hope you can make it. Dick.

• 2 weeks later...