1954 Roadmaster needs priming of carb too often

Pete Phillips

My 1954 Roadmaster (you should see the new paint job, Lamar!) has its orginal 4-bbl. carburetor, which probably has not been rebuilt for years--I know, I keep putting it off. I used to have to prime the carburetor with gas if the car sat for more than 2-3 days, to keep from cranking down the battery too much. Now, I have to prime it even if the car just sits overnight. I'm wondering if there is another cause for this, such as a pinhole leak in a fuel line somewhere, or a weak fuel pump. I'm thinking of installing an electric fuel pump, maybe with an auxiliary on-off switch, so I can use it only when the car needs to be primed, and not have to use it all of the time. I'm sure others have had this problem. Any suggestions? The car has 54,000 actual miles; gas tank has been cleaned out not too long ago. Once I prime it, the car starts right away, and runs perfectly.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest imported_MrEarl

Pete, I seem to recall having the same problem with Marilyn, the 54 Century. I think I did something with cleaning a vacuum switch ? on the bottom of the carburator. Has a little ball in it that was sticking maybe? Man my CRS is getting relly bad. I also have an electric fuel pump hooked up in combination with the original vacuum on Irene. Works great til you forget to turn it off after shutting the engine off and it keeps pumping.

SO LET'S SEE SOME PICTURES OF THAT NEW PAINT JOB.

Pete

All 3 if my 55's do the same thing with the current 100* temperatures and the available highly volatile fuel. On one I have an electric fuel pump mounted by the gas tank that is controlled by a toggle switch ( and only works if the ignition is turned on ). Start worrying if it still does it after the weather gets cooler.

Willie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1954 Roadmaster (you should see the new paint job, Lamar!) has its orginal 4-bbl. carburetor, which probably has not been rebuilt for years--I know, I keep putting it off. I used to have to prime the carburetor with gas if the car sat for more than 2-3 days, to keep from cranking down the battery too much. Now, I have to prime it even if the car just sits overnight. I'm wondering if there is another cause for this, such as a pinhole leak in a fuel line somewhere, or a weak fuel pump. I'm thinking of installing an electric fuel pump, maybe with an auxiliary on-off switch, so I can use it only when the car needs to be primed, and not have to use it all of the time. I'm sure others have had this problem. Any suggestions? The car has 54,000 actual miles; gas tank has been cleaned out not too long ago. Once I prime it, the car starts right away, and runs perfectly.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338 </div></div>

Pete - take a look at the referenced site:

Hard starting - cold

Jon.

Guest imported_Thriller

Jon - thanks for the reference...the Hard Starting - Hot section described the Wildcat on our trip to Rochester. I'll have to try your recommendation the next time I encounter that issue.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Pete I was pretty sure from the looks of it that it was Malibu Blue. I have a set of "Buick COLORS for '54" Imported Models paint chips that has a Malibu Blue and a Lido Green chip that states "Available on Skylark Only" on it. So I am glad to learn that Malibu Blue was indeed offered for other models domestically.