'40 Zephyr questions

gerg

Hi, I am looking into a possible trade for a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr 4 door sedan. Not knowing a whole lot about them, I was hoping some of you could give me some insight on what to look for or be aware of. The car is not currently running but it is believed that the engine and transmission were re-built by the previous owner. Is there anything to watch out for on these v-12s? Cracked cylinder heads, etc. The owner prior to the current owner had completed all the body work and the car has been painted. I think this car hailed from Eastern Washington which is pretty dry but I wondered what areas on these cars might be prone to rust? I have yet to actually inspect the car in person but was told by the current owner that the fender skirts are missing and it looks like some exterior trim pieces are missing. I did some searching of various websites and it looks like some parts are readily available but at a cost. I did not find anyone with trim or fender skirts, will these be "unobtainium"?

Any other helpful hints?

Thanks,

Gerg

PLENTY OF PARTS AVAILABLE......JUST GOT TO HOOK UP WITH NICE PEOPLE FROM LZOC. THERE ARE

ALWAYS A FEW WHO ARE MAKING EXPENSIVE BUISNESS OUT OF OUR HOBBY, BUT IF YOU TRY SOME CLUB SOURCES

YOU WILL WEED THEM OUT....THERE HAVE BEEN 2-3 SETS OF FENDER SKIRTS ON EBAY RECENTLY..NOT TOO PRICEY.

OUR BELOVED ZEPHYRS HAVE ENGINE THAT MUST BE REBUILT PROPERLY...NOT HALF WAY PATCHED....IT SHOULD

RUN SMOOTH..SILENT AND HAVE OIL PRESSURE WHEN HOT......NOT CLATTERING SMOKEY UNDERPOWER OIL BELCHING MESS....

THEY DONT RUST ANY WORSE THAN ANY OTHER CAR....NORTH WEST OHIO CARS RUST OUT FLOORS AND INNER FENDER WELLS. GET A CAR FROM THE SOUTH...

J.BOOTH

oHIo LZOC 1232

I bought a 1940 Zephyr Sedan about six years ago and I can tell you a few things to look out for. My car originated in California (shipped to a large dealer out there from the factory) and then ended up in Kentucky where I bought it. The only rust I found was on the floor pan under the carpet on the driver's side and on the metal pan that lies underneath the radiator. I know all the seals leak on my car as they appear to be the original so if it has been outside for awhile, you may find some rust in the interior like that. As far as other things, the wiring should be looked at, as with any old car. Mine had the original when I bought it and it was all disintegrating. I replaced all the wiring with new from Naraganssett Reproductions. I would look to see if the original components are still with the car in the engine bay such as the carb, fuel pump, generator etc. if you are concerned with that type of thing. Mine had a postwar fuel pump from a later Lincoln. They had also changed out the original aluminum heads at some point and put on the later cast iron type. I don't know how dedicated the current owner was to originality when he rebuilt the engine. Other than that, I guess if you know about cars and can check for the general stuff like smoking and knocking and brakes all that, then I think you should be set. Of course, I the car would have to be running to know if it is a smoker or if it stops. There are still parts out there for the 40's but as the other poster here said, some people want to ask too much for them. I really like mine and although it is not the most valuable and sought after of that year's Zephyr, it still has nice lines.

Matt

post-33039-143137905798_thumb.jpg