Sign in to follow this  

Oldest cars on the road

I am trying to locate the oldest cars on the road for a History Channel documentary. Is there anyone who's vehicle holds the title of oldest running car or any superlative like that? I am a rookie in the antique car world, so any assistance is appreciated.

What do you mean by oldest cars on the road?<P>I will make the assumption that you are talking about cars that are still "stock" and have not been "updated" with more modern engines and chassis components.<P>I will also make the assumption that you are interested in North America. Things are probably different elsewhere.<P>Are you talking about:<P>1) The oldest cars that are legally registered and could conceivably be driven on the road?<P>2) The oldest cars that are actually driven occasionally, probably on club tours?<P>3) Or the oldest cars that are in "everyday service" and used for regular transportation?<P>I would not be surprised to find a few 1890s cars in the first group. I know of a number of cars in the 1900 to 1916 age range in the second group. And I would hazzard a guess that there are some 1920's or 1930's cars in the third group.

jconroy ~ If you are doing a program for the History Channel PLEASE make every effort possible to have the pictures conform to the years depicted in the segment being shown.<P>I am an AVID watcher of the History Channel and think it is the best thing on TV. But I am often, yes often, disturbed by the mixing of time and pictures. A few examples. In A WW II segment on the Luftwaffe, Werner Molders is seen emerging from the cockpit of his Bf 109. The time being depicted was 1943. Werner Molders was killed in 1941.<P>Last week I watched a program on the building of the transcontinental railroad in the 1860's. One segment of film showed an early 20th century locomotive steaming through the Sierras. Motion pictures are wonderful but a still photo would have been better in this case.<P>Scenes showing automobiles are OFTEN 10 to 20 years out of sync. Please make an extra effort to get the cars right.<P>As I said I love the History Channel, but sometimes entertainment gets in the way of history.<P>hvs

The oldest operable, i.e. capable of running, US made car is the 1895 Benton Harbor which is in the AACA Museum. However is cannot be licensed since it has no brakes (it was made that way - that's another story). As Tod mentioned, to get a clear answer, and this is a good place to get it, you must be more precise with what you want.

If the scope includes beyond North America... perhaps it is one of the 400-500 Veteran cars that run the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run each year (in England a Veteran car is considered to be any automobile produced before January 1,1905). The oldest car to participate (and complete) the 91km event in 2000 was a Greenville Steam Car built in 1875.<p>[This message has been edited by BruceW (edited 04-18-2001).]

Crestman,<P>The French vehicle built in 1790 could not be considered for the "oldest on the road" because it is no longer in existance.

BruceW<BR> CrestMan is correct.The first self-propelled vehicle is the French built 1771 Cugnot Fardier a Vapeur. The vehicle is still around and is now on exhibit in the Musee des Arts et Metiers in Paris. This 24 foot long steam powered vehicle features such up to date concepts as front wheel drive and rack and pinion steering. shocked.gif" border="0 Good job Pierre. grin.gif" border="0

Hi<P>I can't remember the actual details but when I was about 12 I saw a steam powered car which I think was made in France around 1790. The article stated that as the crankshaft was not yet invented it used a pawl and ratchet system similar to that found in a bicycle's back wheel.<P>I think the book I saw this article is still in my attic so I will try to find it and get some more acurate facts..<P>Regards<BR>CrestaMan<BR>web site members.xoom.com/crestaman

Thank you all for your responses. I didn't realize that they had been posted and I have been on the road for work. I am looking for the oldest car that is actually driven, not just in existence. It doesn't necessarily have to be registered. And it can be anywhere in the world. So far, the oldest I have run into is an 1884 De Dion Bouton et Trepardoux that is run in England on a regular basis. Thanks for your help, Jeff

Laura, Do you are your father still drive the car? And how much is it for sale for? JC

JAW and Crestman and everyone else on the DF,<P>I sincerely apologize for providing inaccurate information in my earlier post. For some reason I had the idea that the Cugnot Fardier a Vapeur had ceased to exist. Although I know I have information on the vehicle around here somewhere, I could not find it in the mess of my office despite a long search. <P>I guess it proves the old saying:<BR>"Its better to remain silent and thought a fool..than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

My father and I have a1903 Ford Model A that still runs. It's also for Sale. Let me know if you have any questions Kktty77@aol.com

Packard Number One, built in 1899 still runs. It is currently in its glass case in Packard Lab, Lehigh University where it has been since the 30's. It was taken out in 1999 for a tour of the country where it was run under its own power.

I know in Germany a 1896 Leon Bollee (two wheels at the front one at the rear). if you would say that it is car. Also a 1898 Benz Velo (unrestored) and a 1899 Amadée Bollée in Holland. All cars are still on the streets.<P>Tom