Rear Brake Calipers

Joe Quarter

A routine check of the brakes on my 1990 coupe revealed a slight weep from the right rear caliper. The manual details how to rebuild the caliper, but it seems a lot more complicated than the last time I did something like this twenty years ago on my 1971 Triumph Spitfire. Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer about this item? Are the calipers offered rebuilt on an exchange basis?

In this day and age, bad assemblies are just exchanged for remanufactured (as opposed to rebuilt) assemblies. Many times a remanufactured unit is cheaper than a rebuild kit.<P>The rear calipers on the Reatta are fairly unique and will probably have a high core charge, for the rebuilder wants your old core. Be sure to get a quality remanufactured unit with a good warranty.

Rebuilt ones are available but at fairly high priced (read unique), per RedReattaRuss. They are still cheaper than the ones that rust tight on the Chev. Luminas. Pretty common for them to leak a little from the parking brake adjuster and it's a good idea to cycle the parking brake occassionaly.

Nearly 3.5 years ago both my rear brake calipers were leaking so bad, they destroyed a set of brake pads & gave the rear end of the car a brake fluid bath. ANyhow, after checking options, I had a dealership rebuild them - turned out to be far cheaper than remanufactured or new ones.