1955 steering wheel height adjustment

dancorti

I was reading my new 1955 Buick owner's manual and it mentions that the steering wheel height is adjustable (for those less vertically advantaged). It goes on to say--contact your Buick Dealer for details. The factory manual does not have any information and I am wondering if anyone has tried this and if it entails more than adding washers?

Thanks,

Dan

As far as I know, the only adjustment that can be made is to swing the assembly up or down slightly at the mount under the dash. A couple of bolts are there with some room to move up and down a bit. You have to loosen the gearbok at the frame as well.

Crawl around under the dash, and you will see what I mean. TO shorten the column, or even lenghten it would be a massive undertaking... Better off playing with the seat position.

Doug Cook

Dan

I thought that the service manual had this procedure, but I could not find it either.

Anyhow try this: Remove the drivers side front wheel to access the bolts that attach the steering gear to the frame. For the adjustment the steering column pivots on the lower front bolt; the other 3 are in slotted holes in the frame. Loosen but don't remove all 4 bolts. Then go to where the steering column attaches to the dash and loosen but don't remove the nuts on the horizontal bolts (the ones that are parallel to the steering column); these too are in slots in the bracket.

This is any easy adjustment on a new assembly, but may require some struggle with 51 year old crud. When statisfied tighten the frame bolts first so there is no bind on the steering column jacket.

When I got my second Century 4dr hardtop I kept bumping my head on the roof and my legs had very little room under the steering wheel. In addition to the steering column being adjusted all the way down, the seat was mounted on 1 inch blocks of wood. My wife liked it that way. I have since removed the blocks and later put in the 4-way power seat and that raised the seat higher than the wood blocks...the blocks are easier and cheaper...

Willie