Help getting started???

Looking for any advice/help/direction on getting started. Planning on getting a pre-war Chevy to restore very soon. When I got home from Iraq a couple years ago, I promised myself I would start doing all the things I've always dreamed of doing, all the things I've told my kids I would do with them, etc. etc. And here 2yrs later none of it has happened. So I'm finally at that point, screw it it's GOING to happen one way or the other! I'm going to get something to start working on with my kids!

I have no auto background. Have always loved cars, hot rods, Chevy's, etc., can pick things up pretty fast, and am pretty mechanically inclined. But like I said no formal training, haven't done any serious auto work. Don't really have crap for tools at this point, just basic wrench/socket sets., have an AC Stick Welder and that's it. Money of course is tight, want to keep costs down as much as possible, but realize I'm probably going to have to spend a pretty penny getting tools, a lift, better welder, etc. And then what I'll be spending on parts, restoration, etc.

With a little idea of where I'm coming from, I'm looking for any advice/suggestions, etc. on how to get started, what vehicle to get, etc.

I'm looking for a pre-war Chevy about 1937-1942. I love the 4dr Special Deluxe(???) w/the suicide doors. So would love to find something like that, 4dr., can fit at least a family of 6, love the suicide doors, easy to hot rod..Looking for advice for somebody that's basically starting from the ground up, no experience, getting tools, etc. as I go along...

What I'm looking for, I realize it will take some time, but I don't want something that will take years to finish, not looking to turn out a pristine resto, also plan to rod the vehicle, would like to keep close to original, but where original parts are too hard to find/expensive I will substitue, and also want something fast and muscular! Something I can restore, while learning as I go, with my kids, and as cheap as possible, etc. and be on the road in less than a year.

what kind of condition vehicle should I start with? From what I've been looking I've found a few cars around 2-3k, these are pretty much from the ground up resto, basic solid body, decent foundation, but needing full resto. Most everything else is about 4-7k, some better than others, usually decent body, may/may not run. For someone w/limited knowledge is there a big difference between years? Models? Wanting to spend less rather than more, is there a big difference btween yrs? Models?

Also where are good places to find cars? I've been searching online, what's best? any particular dealers? Classifieds? Auctions?

I live in GA, hell I don't even own a trailer, best case scenario I can find something I can drive home, worst case I have to rent a trailer for a weekend and drive to pick up.

Thanks in advance!

I was/am in your same boat. Here is what I have learned...

You will spend WAY more restoring a car that it is worth. You will run into much more frustration with locating parts, prices, refinishing, etc, that it is worth. I wanted a project car and was looking at a 50-52 Buick, or something similar. I have since found a beautiful 48 Chevy Fleetmaster Sport Coupe that I am toying with buying.. It is a restored car that has some room to detail... Some minor chrome pieces, some engine details.. and just the usual maintenance of owning an old car that you drive.

I come from a car family and this will be MY first car although not the first car I have been around. (66 GTO, 71 Chevelle SS). I am at a lot of car shows and talk to many people...

Get a car you can enjoy with your kids.. learn about it that way.. and then later maybe do a resto. It took me quite some time to resolve to that, but I think it will be better financially, as well as better for the enjoyment of the family. I know I'd rather be cruising with my kids than throwing tools trying to fix or rebuild something with them.

Just my .02.

My biggest trouble is the price the seller wants... It's high, but I am trying to find out how much too high.. I don;t mind paying a bit high as I think the car is worth it, but I also don't want a car that I can't sell without taking a loss.(If I had to)

Important to decide what the car is to be! A street driver, show car or in the extreme a trailer queen. The money goes up significanlty with each of those decisions. it also goes up the rarer the car is. The one of a kind cars are great but if you don't buy it complete, getting parts is very expensive. I just restored a 65 Nova SS with you would think is an easy car to do. Mine is close to the trailer queen type and I easily have 3 times what the cars is worth in it. An older chevy with harder to find parts could add up very fast. Last thing is how much work you will do yourself. I had a shop do my body work and that was quite expensive. Not as expensive if you can do it all yourself. All you have to do is buy all the tools!

There is nothing in the world that is more fun then bonding with family memebers while doing a restoration. It does take a lot of time, money, patience, and can be very frustrating at times. You won't get your money back out of it if you go to sell it, but the bonding process can't be measured in dollars.

I would suggest that you find the best car that you can afford to start with. Also something that you can find parts for and is something that you know you will enjoy. Learn all you can from others that own a similar car or have worked on them. Gather your information before you spend your money to see if this is really what you want because there have been many a project sold due to lack of interest, money or just plain ran out of steam.

Look over at the chevytalk.com site and see what these guys that have been there done that say. You can gain a wealth of knowledge from these people. Think about joining a club that is either Marque specific or even your local A.A.C.A., that will be another wealth of knowledge that you can't find in any book.

Most of all, remember, it's the journey not the destination.

And enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks for all the great advice! In response, I think I'm going to take a lot of your suggestions. True the time spent w/my kids working on the car would be great, but at the same time upon further thought, it probably does make more sense to find something as complete as possible that is affordable. I could see getting something needing total resto and not knowing what I'm doing, and ending up spending more time being frustrated, not getting anything done w/the kids because something is going to take much more work/expertise than I can do myself, and the car is sitting on blocks for the next year because everything is taking much longer. So get something we can enjoy immediatley, going out for rides, etc., then start fixing that up.

Definately want a street driven rod, do not want a trailer queen...This is going to be something we're driving every week, road trips, around town, etc.

From what I've been seeing it seems about 6-11k you can find something decent shape, running, nothing major needed, just rough around the edges, needing interior, etc. It seems though make the jump up to around 15k then you start finding the cars that are pretty much complete, maybe not expert resto show cars or anything like that, but pretty sweet looking and running rides. So I'll have to decide how much I can afford. Mainly I think it will just take a little time and patience to find the right deal!

Something I've noticed, it seems like all the 'resto-to-runs, decent shape but needs resto 2k-9k vehicles' I find are in either Wyoming, the Dakotas, Iowa, or Illinois??? Is there something there? Or am I just imagining things? I live in GA, EVERYTHING I find down here and around here (FLA, TN, etc.) are ridiculous, they are all so-called "professional restorations" and they want 25-50k for them. I can't find anything less. Some place down here wanted 25k for a 1981 Camaro RS!!! You would think the South is where you would find the best deals, but it seems the opposite! Any comments???

I was thinking about trying to join the local A.A.C.A. chapter, although I would feel kinda silly not even owning a classic car and not really knowing much. So I will probably wait a little while, at least until I get something.

Thanks again for the replies!

First, and most important, welcome home. I was in Baghdad, as a civilian working directly with the military, from 10-03 to 12-04. In fact, I was still there when I bought my 26 Chevy roadster, which was in Montana. My home is in Louisiana. Talk about fun.

Joining local clubs without having a car yet would be a good idea. You could learn alot and have fun while you're doing it. After all, you'd be with people who have been there, done that, and already have the cars for you and your kids to enjoy.

I agree with rbl2. Owning a car is not a pre-requisite to being in the club. You will find people there that will help you to find the car you want as many of the members have something for sale. You will also get to have all the years of experience from the guys that have bought everything from a partly done car to a hulk. You may want to call the local chapter and see if they will let you sit in on a few meetings. I think you will be pleasantly suprised as to the warm reception you get.

The one thing you will want to do is look over the prespective car carefully or maybe with someone that understands old cars. The club will help you in that indeavor also.

Whatever you do, best of luck and keep us posted.

Ron

Did you work for KBR? Or a different contractor?

I was there from 02/2006(stage up in Kuwait)-11/2006. Went all over the country on missions, but was based out of BIAP(Baghdad International).

That sounds like a great idea. I think I will check into joining one! I will definately keep everybody posted!

KBR signed my paycheck and that was it. Very shortly after I got there I was "loaned" to the military for what was supposed to be a 5-6 week job building defensive walls in and around one of MP camps. I took it and ran with it, overseeing the building of walls around around the primary defense lines that surrounded the presidential palace and part of the green zone. I also supervised the building of defensive walls within the secondary line of defense within the persedential palace area, all within the green zone. To do this job though I had to cross the wire every morning.

I was chosen initially because of my expansive construction experience and remained because, unlike military personell, I would not rotate out every few months. Being a civilian in charge of a military detail/operation was interesting to say the least.

KBR forgot about me somewhere in all of this and that was just fine with me.

I would also like to add that the military personell from the few privates we had all the way to the numerous colonels I dealt with all treated me very well. Ok,ok, there was one MSgt and an SFC who were rather anal but other than them they were all good people who treated me as one of their number regardless of rank, MOS, or station in life. I remain in touch with several. I miss all of them.

BIAPs was only a few miles away but it took us over 45 minutes to get there on a good day. I used to go there sometimes to just get away from it all. They had a much better PX too.

Now, back to the topic. Keep us posted and have fun with those kids.