1940 Buick Special - Help needed with fluids-transmission, etc

bhclark

I've done a search and can't find any info.

I assume standard 90w gear lubricant should be used in the differential, but what kind of fluid should I refill my transmission case and steering box with.

Also, not knowing the history of the car, would it be better to just drain and fill these or should they be flushed like the manual says?

90W is fine for the rear end. Dexron III, just like the new Buicks use, is fine for the trans. If it were me, I'd get it running first, warm up the trans, and drain it then. If the fluid looks and smells ok, I would not worry about it until you conquer some of your other problems.

It sounds like you have plenty to do, before worring about changing the trans fluid.

OMG! I was talking about an automatic trans! Just realized you have a 40 buick, with a stick! Oh well, stay with the 90W, but still, tend to first things first. The trans and rearend dont need oil, if the engine won't run..!!

Take things one at a time, don't get in too much of a hurry. Solve your problems one by one. Worry about these things after you get the engine running.

Thanks. That's what I thought!

I'm working on the engine....but when I get frustrated I have to switch gears and work on something else for a while!

I got a nice shiny new exhaust installed today!!!!!

Got the wheel cylinders in the mail today, so I'll finish the brakes tomorrow and head back to the engine.

Thanks!