1948 and 1959 Cadillac serial info needed

Pontiac59

1948 - where is the darn serial number on the frame? Motors says right side rail, but on top, on inside, on outside, behind wheel, ahead of wheel, at the rear, ?????? Anyone have a photo or diagram? I have a car sold provided the number is legible. Where is it on the block - do I need to remove the water pump to see it? Been trying to find a number on this hearse since we got it 6 weeks ago.

1959 - What does the letter code in the serial mean? Is the number on the block the same as the number on the tag inside the door? The main question here, are serial numbers body style specific? I don't believe they would be given they're supposed to be the same as the engine numbers.

Yes, I know there is a Cadillac Forum, but more people will see it here and may have a copy of the Krause Standard Guide to American Cars 1945-1970 or the Standard Guide to Cadillac, or some other book with better answers for me than the Motors manual.

Thanks -

Guest quadfins

On the '59, the first number refers to the model year, so it should be a 9. The letter code refers to the body style. For example, J is a Coupe de Ville, L is a 6-window Sedan de Ville, M is a Fleetwood, etc... the next 6 numbers refer to the consectutive number in order the car was completed - 000001 was the first, and 1XX,XXX was the last. What is the letter you have? Then, there are engine unit numbers and engine serial numbers. One (the serial number, IIRC, should be the same as the VIN. The unit number will be a little different. If it has a K, for example, it indicates an engine set up for air conditioning.

I can't help you with the '48.

I check the Cadillac Forum every day.

Also, try the CLC website and message forum. Contrary to what an earlier poster ranted, they will provide helpful information.

Jim

1961 Coupe de Ville

That's the first I've heard the door tags are body-style specific. I went up to get a tag off a carcass of a convertible and it's gone, I picked up a couple of others off what I thought were the same body style of '59 - 4-door hardtops - and one has an A and the other an L. All the books I have show the serial number as located on the engine and make no mention of any other tag.

I have a '60 ragtop here and I can't find a GM body tag on it, I guess it's supposed to be in the center of the cowl. Of the three '59's I looked at, I saw no sign of any tags -

Thanks for the info -

Guest quadfins

Body code A is for a Series 62 four window sedan, the so-called Flattop. Body code L is for a six-window Sedan de Ville. They are both considered four door hard tops, but the C pillars, roof line, rear windows, and interior trim are different. Look for the body tag on the drivers side, up on the flat area of the cowl by the fresh air intake grill, in the vicinity of the drivers hood hinge. Body tags don't have the VIN, but will have a 4-digit body code that corresponds to the letter code in the VIN. For example, body code A will have a style number 6239 stamped on the body tag. In the door pillar there should be a plastic service tag with the VIN. Serial number (VIN) IS stamped on the engine, on the lower block, driver's side , in the middle, just above the oil pan lip. About where the exhaust heat riser is located. Usually obscured by a layer of ossified 45 year old grease. The engine unit number is stamped on the rear upper block, aft of the driver's side valve cover, right near where the transmission bellhousing bolts to the block. My '61 shop manual has photos of the locations. A '59 manual might, too. Need a scan? Contact me off list, but I will be leaving town for 10 days starting tomorrow (Wednesday) about 7:30 AM.

Anyone repro those plastic tags? I have one that's partially delaminated.

What code is on a convertible tag (59_xxxxxx)?

Saw a '60 on eBay and you could clearly see some kind of aluminum tag in the center of the firewall. Mine is so rotted it could be anywhere and have 1/4" of rust flakes over it, and so was the other one I looked at in addition to it being stripped. What I could use is a photo showing a body tag on a '59 or a '60 -

Thanks

Guest quadfins

Series 62 convertible will have code F.

Eldorado convertible will have code E.

McVeys used to have repro blank door tags, but you have to engrave the VIN yourself.

I just checked my most recent engine compartment pics, but I don't have anything that shows the body plate. I'll check some other plates when I get back from the trip.

• 6 years later...
Guest bill's 59 caady

Does the E code apply to a 59 Biarritz convertible? I tired searching my 9 digit VIN on "The Classic Car Database" to get some history and it could not recognize it.