27/28 Buffalo Wire Hub Inserts

alsancle

Hi,

Does anyone know what the insert that goes in the hub of 27/28 Stutz wires looks like? On the 19 inch Duseneburg wires there is a round insert that says "Duesenberg". Is there a similiar one on the 20 inch stutz wheels that says "Stutz"? I'm have not been able to find a clear detailed picture.

thanks, A.J.

A.J.

The emblems in a 1926 and 1927 look were metal and embossed with the stutz wings logo. They had a black background with nickel plated raised features. They were like most other cars of the time including Duesenberg, Lincoln, Cadillac etc. The 1928 however had a cloisenne emblem with white porcelin background. I have attached a photo of my unrestored (now restored) emblem. Sidemount wheel centers used the same emblem. Surprisingly, the emblem in the center of the front bumper is like the 1927 and 1926 metal version, even on the 1928. It is not interchangeable with the wire wheel emblem - it is somewhat smaller.

Best regards,

Brian

PS: I believe that reproduction versions of the 26, 27 version are available from Ernie Toth Jr.

post-42585-14313790375_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Admirer4Stutz

I am not sure that is the correct insert for 1927/8 Stutz.

I will try to get you a picture in the next few days. I am sure

I have one that you can use to make some copies up. I would like

a half dozen myself. There are company's in Japan and South Korea who

do short orders less then 50 pieces. I think the one in the photo sent

you is 1925/6. You may want to check that out again, just to be sure.

Rick

The 1928 Stutz BB uses a cloisonné emblem that says Stutz and has a white background. The metal part nickel plated at least until late 1928. They sold leftover BB Stutz's in 1929 - they upgraded them with different taillights and model M like taillights. The emblem in the center of the front bumper clamp looks like a 1926 or 1927 emblem, however the diameter is smaller than that of a wire wheel. Some restorers use a wire wheel hubcap emblem in their bumper clamp, but you can always tell, as they do not fit right.

Attached is a photo of a 1928 wire wheel emblem. I will try to come up with a photo of the bumper clamp emblem and a 26 or 27 wire wheel emblem side by side so you can see the difference. Ernie Toth of the Stutz club has the 26 or 27 style wire wheel emblem.

Brian

post-42585-143137903753_thumb.jpg