Can you please identify this wooden spoked wheel?

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Wheel is in New Zealand. Diameter would appear to be 20 inches, brake drum internal diameter is close to 13 5/8 inches. The steel hub is 8 inches in diameter. I can't see any ID marks, but then I don't know where to look. A piece of steel rim is rusted out.

My guess is 1920 something. Good clear picture attached.

post-45230-143137903411_thumb.jpg

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks Layden for that. I have been doing some digging myself and felt that the rim was a few years earlier. I think the 1929 has a different hub nut. But I am a novice at this. I have also had another measure up and it could well be a 21 inch rim, a little difficult to measure. Looks to me that the 1929 had 20" rims, so I had probably put you wrong. cheers Neil in NZ

• 2 weeks later...

I've just measured the wheel on my ' 29 standard 116 ( all 1929 Buick had 20 inch tyres)

The diameter across the metal rim as you look at it in the picture is 19 1/2 inches or just short of 500mm. That's not a ' 29 hub cap on the wheel. My guess is 1928.

Cheers, Ken.

• 1 month later...

The hub cap is 1926 and 1927. The lugs are 1926, 1927, and 1928. As mentioned above, the diameter of the fellow is 1/2 inch smaller than the wheel size, ie, a 21 inch wheel has a 20 1/2 inch fellow diameter.

The master wheel fellow measures 3 inches side to side (thickness) and the standard measures 2 5/8 inches.

This is not a rear wheel from a Master. I can not tell if it is a front wheel or rear wheel from a standard without seeing the bearing or without seeing the hub with the hubcap removed. If it is a front wheel from a master, the fellow will be 3 inches wide.

Guest 1937RHDNZ

Thanks guys,

I am sure now that it is a 21" wheel, and i forgot to mention earlier that it is a front wheel, as the stub axle is still attached. So it appears to a 1927 or 1928, which is close enough for me. Thanks for all the help. The wheel is in a poor state, so is being used for a garden ornament. Looks good too.

cheers Neil