bad transmission ??

Hello everyone. I am a month old Reatta owner, and I absolutly love my car! ('88, black /tan ) <P> Here is the prob...I decide to get some coffee a 3 in the morning. I drive to the corner store about three blocks away. As I am backing out of the driveway, the stick shifter seems a little rough miving from park to reverse. I go in get coffe, come back out, and my stick shift is tottaly loose i can slide it all the way up and down with out pressing the button down. It will only "catch" in nuetral. seems to be stuck in park. <P> O.K. I don't know much about cars, so if anyone could throw me some ideas as to what it might be, I would greatly apreciate it. I dont know if it's the whole tranny that went out, or if it is in the connection to the stick. plz help me get black beauty back on the road smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: GOTTA-REATTA ]

It sounds to Me like the shifter has come apart. If You take the knob off and the shifter cover You can probably look down and see whats going on. Was the transmission acting odd before this happenned? If not then I think it is a linkage problem. Welcome to the World of Reattas. Hope You enjoy it!

Thanks Skip. I apreciate you taking the time to reply and offer advice. That is bassically what I have been hearing from a few people. How much do you think it would be to remedy this prob. (just a rough estimate) <P> These are the other probs the car was/is having..<BR> <BR> -rough idle... I know the fuel filter is very dirty was about to replace it when this happened <P> -stuttering at about 50, 60 mph..on the highway, when i would reach this point, and accelorate, the car would start to shake. felt like i also had a slight loss of power. ? that one was wierd.<P> thats about it as far as I know. thanks