Bouncing Oil Pressure Gauge

Well, my first problem, and just wondering if this is common and others have had the same experience. When driving, the oil pressure gauge goes slightly bonkers, bouncing back and forth from about straight up (12 o'clock position) to about 3 o'clock. Not as bad when trans is in neutral or park, but still occurs. With only 47K miles and the dipstick showing full, I can only assume it must be a sensor. Any help here? <P>Thanks, Jerry Sellers confused.gif" border="0

Use the search function and lookup oil pressure sensor. There are many items in the database. Mine will jump from 12 o'clock position to the 5 o'clock position once or twice a day. It has done it for about ten years. I've leaned to live with it unless it changes to the other direction.

Have noticed some fluctuations in mine also - not terrible concerned as stays above 40 at idel and 46-58 on road (speed dependant).<P>What does concern me is that with the engine off it may read 2-3 or more likely it will read 6-8. Would not be a concern except the oil light on the dash does not come on until 5 psi or below. This means that half the time the engine can be off and still not turn the light on (personally would like to have light come on at 15-18 psi).<P>That said once drove the same drivetrain in wife's 90 Bonnevile SE 1000+ miles at 65-70 mph home on 19 psi max. with no ill effects (*very* cold start had spun/dropped both center cam bearings found in pan when dropped at home - Indiana dealer said "pressure was fine, guage was wrong". On teardown everything was fine except for center journals on cam (scored).<P>So the 3800 apparently does not need much oil pressure (may be because designed for flat tappets and rollers have much less drag) but does need some so failure of oil light to come on does concern me.<P>BTW have seen new replacement sender fail in a very odd way - seal broke and oil pumped past connector. Took about 20 miles for pan to empty to guage jump. Fortunately shut down immediately. Check underneath frequently following replacement.

JUST found this in the technical service bulletins (is it AR to want to read everything ?)<P>Technical Service Bulletin # 906D6 Date: 910801<BR>Oil Pressure Gage Erratic or Displays High Oil Pressure<BR>Bulletin <BR>90-6D-6 <BR>Date <BR>August '91<BR>Ref. No. <BR>90-233-6D<BR>Corp. Ref. No. <BR>118303<BR>SUBJECT:<BR>OIL PRESSURE GAGE ERRATIC OR DISPLAYS HIGH OIL PRESSURE (REPLACE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR)<BR>MODELS AFFECTED:<BR>1986-90 RIVIERA 1988-90 REATTA<BR>Some 1986-90 Rivieras and 1988-90 Reattas may experience a condition where the oil<BR>pressure gage may be erratic (needle fluctuates) or display very high oil pressure.<BR>This is due to an internal intermittent contact within the oil pressure sensor.<BR>To diagnose oil pressure gage complaints check the oil pressure with a mechanical<BR>gage using the oil pressure sensor hole in the engine block.<BR>^ If the oil pressure is incorrect according to the engine specifications in<BR> Section 6, refer to Section 6 for diagnosis of high or erratic oil pressure.<BR>^ If the oil pressure is correct according to the engine specifications in Section<BR> 6 of the Service Information Manual, enter service diagnostics and monitor BCM<BR> data parameter BD71. BD71 is oil pressure in psi.<BR> - If the parameter value is not erratic or a maximum value and the instrument<BR> panel cluster gage is, refer to Section 8A of the Service Manual for<BR> diagnosis of display conditions.<BR> - If the parameter value is erratic or at a maximum value and agrees with <BR> instrument panel cluster gage, replace the oil pressure sensor with part<BR> number 3532954.<BR>Parts are expected to be available on August 19, 1991. Until then, normal part orders<BR>will not be accepted by GMSPO. Only verifiable emergency VIP orders will be accepted.<BR>GMSPO will make every effort to obtain parts.<BR>All parts will be placed on 400 control to waive VIP surcharges. However, the part<BR>will be shipped premium transportation at dealer's expense. All other order types<BR>will be cancelled as incorrectly ordered while the 400 control is in place.<BR>WARRANTY INFORMATION:<BR>Labor Operation Number:<BR>N2220<BR>Engine Oil Pressure Switch - Replace<BR>Labor Time:<BR>.3 hr.