Yuck, Transport Blues!!!!

Here I am patiently waiting for my car to arrive... Feel like wifes having a baby as I jump every time the phone rings! My car was suppose to arrive April 4th from California, I call to see whats happening and Im told on the day my car is to arrive the driver is in Texas with my cargo! I politley ask why in the world this is happening when PA is a straight shot from CA. I'm told its the :southern route: Ummmm, can you say .65 per mile and an additional 1500 miles???? Meanwhile it is now april 11, and still no car!! I cant take this waiting much longer! Heck, if I'd know the driver was close, I'd meet him and get my car on my own! Have any of you gone through this? Whats the typical time of delivery? Gotta go, I need a blood pressure pill!!!!<P>Thanks, ( and still w/o a car ! )<BR>Rick

Guest BruceW

No trucking firm is going to drive across the country at 65 cents per miles with only one car to deliver. The truck probably has several other cars to deliver across the U.S. and thats probably why it was in Texas. Any trucking company is going to maximimze their load to make the trip worthwhile... its only smart business. If you were willing to pay a dollar or two per mile then perhaps the trucking firm would have made a 3,000 mile special trip just to deliver one car. <P>As to why the delivery is late.... it's hard to tell. They can only estimate the time because typically they cannot predict things such as break downs, bad weather,etc.<P>Maybe the driver got thrown in the pokey and his truck and cargo is impouded. (only kidding!) smile.gif<P>I'd keep checking with the trucking firm every so often but don't have a heart attack over it. Then you'd miss the excitement of the car's arrival

Rick ~ I refrained from saying anything earlier on your previous posting, because I did not want to give you any more reason to worry. Now that you have entered the worry mode, I will tell you that you are experiencing exactly what MANY others have encountered in having a car transported.<P>I hope your car is in the hands of a reputible transporter and not some fly by night operator. You know like "Slippery Sam's Super Transport Service." shocked.gif I also hope you have insurance to cover YOUR vehicle while it is in the hands of the transporter.<P>A friend of mine had a car transported across the county and when it arrived it was nothing but a burnt out shell. Seems there had been a "little" fire during the crossing.<P>I know you don't really want to hear this kind of thing, but it may serve as a warning and a wake up call to others who are contimplating having a car shipped.<P>You know, I have hauled many of my own cars thousands of miles, and $.65 a mile probably wouldn't cover the cost of fuel, wear and tear on the tow vehicle and trailer and other expenses like food and lodging. I hope your car is not on the back of "Friendly Fred's" old Dodge flatbed truck.<P>Sorry. Keep us posted as a service to others. <P>hvs

You wont believe this!! I call Brockers today to find the wherabouts of this driver. ( The transport was arranged by the dealer ) Anyway, He tells me that the driver got upset and quit! He left mine as well as two other cars on an open trailer along side a highway in Texas! I was told a trucker saw the abandoned rig and cars thinking there was a breakdown, when in fact the driver abandoned them!!!! I dont believe in posting foul language, but... I understand that there is a fella in florida as well as one in Mississippi waiting for their cars as well. The dealer told me that all of the cars are ok, and havent been harmed, also the drivers company is insured. I dont know the name of the trucking firm, but I'll find out soon enough. I am so MAD!!! I never thought I'd sue someone, but I sure am close, I just dont know what for yet. Abandoning a load of classic cars sounds serious enough for me. Grrrrrrrr<P>Still waiting,<BR>Rick

Guest BruceW

Rick,<P>I'm not a lawyer but I don't think you may have grounds for a suit. Evidently the contract was between the dealer and the trucking company.. so the dealer would have to go forward with the suit. And if your car is delivered undamaged, then the contract might be considered fulfilled.<P>Do continue to keep us posted on the progress of the wayward car.

I know it's not possible for everyone to do but this is why I get one of my "car" buddies, hook up the trailer and go get it ourselves. This can usually be done easily if it's not the peanut butter and jelly express. We eat well and stay at a nice motel, always someone wanting to talk about whatever is on the trailer. You can't compete with the truckers prices but these trips usually are a great start to our projects. <BR> Hope your car get's to you soon. Doug

Endless Trucking Transport Blues<P>Rick's bought a car he wants,<BR>having it trucked to his abode<BR>but last Rick heard it was abandoned<BR>on some lonely Texas road.<P>(chorus)<BR>Ricks got the the transport<BR>Oh the trucking transport<BR>The endless trucking transport blues<P>He heard it was in Texas<BR>least he hopes that its still there<BR>and not somewhere in Juarez<BR>being stripped until its bare.<P>(chorus)<BR>Ricks got the the transport<BR>Oh the trucking transport<BR>The endless trucking transport blues<P>We hope he gets his car soon<BR>and everything will be alright.<BR>We know that once its in his hands<BR>it will never leave his sight.<P>(chorus)<BR>He don't want the transport<BR>Oh the trucking transport<BR>the endless trucking transport blues.<P>Not the transport<BR>Oh the trucking transport<BR>the endless trucking transport blues.<P>

i hesitate to give a testimonial (with my luck something bad will happen) but i have been involved in the shipment of a lot of cars over the past 10 years. from the midwest to california, florida etc. brass cars, race cars and concepts....the carrier we used was RELIABLE and they are usually found in hemmings. they have been nothing less than spectacular in their handling of the vehicles and attitude abouyt their jobs. these men and women are true professionals. they have great experience at venues such as pebble beach and go out of their way to help owners. price has always been competitive or better than some of the other name carriers. they sure seem to have better luck than i had with my '43 foot trailer!<P><p>[This message has been edited by oldscarnut (edited 04-11-2001).]

I spent the whole summer of 1990 waiting for my 1958 Willys FC170 pickup to be delivered from Montana to upstate New York. I bought the FC170 over the phone at an auction. I had already talked several times with the owner and had a set of good pictures to go over with a magnifier. Buying the truck turned out to be the easy part. I made the mistake of hiring a local trucking company called World Wide Auto Shippers to pickup the truck and deliver it to my door. They had the low bid and promised two week delivery. Well, the short story is World Wide Auto Shippers is a trucking broker and does not own a single truck. If you don't own a truck you have to wait till a trucker is passing through the area of the country where you need them. In my case Montana is not on the main route and I waited from June till September. Never hire a trucking company that does not own trucks.<P>Highlights from the long version.<P> Seller had to move the truck 40 miles to a bigger town to get it picked up, it sat at another location outside of my control and the selers for 2 weeks.<P> Driver calls from a Oklahoma jail for bail, he thought I still owed on the delivery. His truck loaded of cars were in a police impound area. He wasn't licensed to be in Oklahoma.<P> World Wide Auto Shippers never return calls. Finally found a home number. Told me it was on route several times. I would call the seller and he would assure me it wasn't.<P> Truck was delivered 5 miles away (that was as close as he would come). Cracked side windows and scratched roof. The bright driver put a truck that is over 6 foot tall on the top front of the car carrier where it caught all the low limbs. Filled out papers, took pictures got estimates never collected a dime from "their insurance".<P>I went and got my next FC myself, with a U-Haul trailer reserved to bring it home but that is another story.<P>Jim...<BR>

Well, the song did cheer me up some, thanks! I cringe everytime i think of my poor car sitting alone, helpless to those who will turn her into a low rider. Ive got before pics, so if theres even a scratch on her pretty lil paint job, I'll be on the phone pronto! I couldnt go to CA for the car, it just wasnt in the budget or time schedule. This is the first car I've bought from outside my local area, it truly is a learning experience!<P>Rick

I had contracted to have a shipment delivered from North Carolina. The independent trucker that was hired to bring it out had never been to California before. He got into Nevada and discovered the legal houses of prostitution. Well I called for 2 weeks trying to find out what happened to the truck. Everyone was looking for that truck and driver. He turned up when he maxed out his credit cards and spent all of his cash. Another lesson learned.

hvs - thought the Mustang Ranch (not to be confused with Camaros and Firebirds) was closed down. Heard it went belly-up, well sort-of. Guess they ran out of truckers with lots of cash and time. Oh those trucking transport blues! grin.gif

Yes Ted, the beloved Mustang Ranch is closed. frown.gif<P>As I understand the story, it was siezed a number of years ago by the govt. for unpaid taxes. For a while the feds operated it to recover back taxes. cool.gif Then someone questioned whether the govt. should be engaging in this line of work, back taxes or no. confused.gif<P>Finally I believe the do gooders prevailed and as you say, the ranch went belly up. frown.gif<P>hvs<P>PS I will be in Reno next month. Should I go out to the old fun farm and see if there are any truckloads of antique cars parked nearby? After all, only the Mustang was closed. For tax reasons, not moral ones. The other fun palaces still operate legally.<P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 04-12-2001).]

My only experience with a car transport was a good one. I purchased a '54 Patrician down in Laurens, SC and the owner graciously reduced the price by $500 to cover the transport to Baltimore. Looked through all the transporter ads in Hemmings and selected PC Bear up near Lancaster. I chose him on the basis of what he said in his ad and the close proximity of Lancaster to Baltimore. He has his own rig and schedules multiple pick ups and drop offs going both ways. He contacted me just before the pick up in Laurens and delivery to my door in Fallston. The car was inoperative and he handled it beautifully. Cost was less than the $500 discount. I have recommended him on several occasions and would do so again.<P>jnp

I have used Passport twice - once sending and one receiving - with excellent results. The receiving end was a Kaiser from New Mexico and it arrived within a company stated time frame. A man and his wife were driving the rig and they criss-cross the country back and forth picking up and delivering. The driver told me that the hard part was planning the positioning of all the vehicles so that constant reloading could be avoided.

Well, here it is the 13th, Friday nonetheless. Still no car. The weather here is wonderful, Im seeing street rodders and classic cars driving around... Am I???? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! My poor 41 is at a roadside truck stop with no cover abandoned by those chosen to protect her. Ughhhhh, when will this nitemare end!<P>Rick

Thank you so much for the offer of help as well as good advice. Unfortunately, I sorta broke the small bank account I had buying the car, so a trip to Texas and drive back isnt in the budget, I really couldnt afford to take time from work either ( 34 yr old w/ wife & 2 small boys to support ) I am trying to think of some sort of restitution for this obvious neglegence over property entrusted to the carrier. Believe me I hate conflict, but Ill go over that car with a fine tooth comb ( if it ever arrives ) and any damage on it will be assumed to have occured when it was left abandoned at some roadside for four days! As soon as I have all the trucking company info I will be sure to post it here so none of you EVER have to go through this. By the way, the number of the trucking company is 800-765-8780 ( I just got that tonite after asking in a not so nice way ) I may never see a cent from the damage that may or may not be there, but you can bet that I'll keep trying! I'll also make sure that all of us in this Hobby know not to use them! Again, thank you so much for your stories and helpfulness, I read the post every night and it makes me proud to be a fellow member of the aaca because of generous folks like each of you. Here's hoping for the arrival of a lonely 41 chrysler in the near future!<P>Sincerely,<BR>Rick, York PA

Hey Rick - If that was my valuable '41 abandoned in Texas, I'd be on a plane tonite to do two things, 1. Get the car secured and under cover, and 2. Arrange for another way to get it home - like rent a U-Haul truck and trailer. Then when I was safely home, if I pre-paid the hauler, I'd sue them in their home state for non-performance and physical damage to the car if any.

Guest BillP

None of my business, but you asked. <BR>A. Conflict is a part of the human condition. Get used to it. Step up to the plate and assert your rights. <BR>B. At this point, assuming you paid in total for the car and it is your property, act to protect it. The phone number of the trucking company is nice to have, but have they responded as advertised so far? <BR>C. If you are unable to physically take care of the problem yourself, consider the kindness of other hobbieists, and take up the generous offer of the man in Houston to help you out. Keep in mind that he'll do it gladly as a fellow car guy and perhaps expect no compensation, but you as a man will have incurred a debt. <BR>D. I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but whining on the internet will not solve your problem. <BR>E. Learn from this in a constructive way. <BR>F. Enjoy your car when you get this untangled.

Thank you BillP for posting an outstanding lesson in Real World 101.<P>We ALL need to bear these things in mind as we travel the road of our hobby.<P>Now res1967, get out there and fight for your car. It probably would be better to go a little in debt to rescue the car than to wait and see what eventually finds its way to you and then try to recover through the legal system. You may be 34 now, but you might well be 68 before you recover any monetary damages through the courts, if ever.<P>hvs

res1967 - BillP & hvs are really advising you that action is far better than angst. And think what a nice object lesson article you could write for you club's newsletter and/or Antique Automobile about your misfortune and your creative efforts to save your '41 baby.

I would love to take action asap, however thats just not possible at this time. The car is financed ( I'll own it in 46 monthly payments ) I negotiated the price of shipping with the dealer to be included in price of car, so I didnt arrange the transport, the dealer did. So, the car was sold in california, paid for by a finance company in new york, and transported by some outfit out of Texas ( talk about spreading things out! ) If I did arrange transport, things would be different and I'd use the help of other enthusiasts knowing I'd be in debt for the generous service. If I didnt have the cash to buy a 6k car, I surely dont have the cash to go to tex, or arrange other shipping. So I am at the mercy of this car carrier who recently assured me the car should be in York PA by wednesday the 18th. As for the whining comment ( I'm sure it was meant in good taste ) I'm using this forum to spill out my insecurities over some company I dont know having me by the short hairs along with my collectable car! I thought others would tell of the situations they have had and share what they may have done in this delema. I'm keeping everyone posted each day in order to follow this story to whatever the outcome may be as well as to protect anyone from falling into this problem. I will write an article about all of this and hope the outcome is a positive one for the article as well as my sanity! Thanks again for wishing me the best, and I'll keep you all updated.<P>Rick

Rick ~ smile.gifPrayer is always good. smile.gif<P>Seriously, keep us posted and by all means let us know how this all turns out. I think many may have learned a lesson from all of this.<P>Real world 101. Lesson #1.<P>Buying antique cars is like playing the stock market. It should only be done with discretionary funds. Don't borrow money for cars or stocks.<P>Lesson #2<P>The only time an antique car should be called an "investment" is when the wife says, "What did you buy that old car for?" and you reply, "But honey, it's an investment." rolleyes.gif<BR>Excuse me for being flip in this stressful time, but there is some sound advice here somewhere. smile.gif

Guest BillP

Rick <BR>More advice, worth what you are paying for it. <BR>I absolutely agree with Howard about funding for the purpose of buying collectible cars. Sometimes you have to get creative to get a 'must have' car, but not to the point of jeopardizing your core finances. <P>Prayer is also, for some, a valuable resort, but in this, as in many of man's adventures, I prefer to think He'd shrug His shoulders and with wry smile remind us to first help ourselves. In the doing, we'll usually figure a way out of our jam, allowing Him to fry His larger fish. And of course we emerge better for the experience, which is all He wants for us. <P>Now to your dilemma. <BR>You have perhaps signed a contract for the purchase of this automobile. If there is even a modest amount of fine print, it probably outlines all the rights you have signed away. Nevertheless, there may be some relief available to you. The threat of legal action used to be a real attention-getter for a person or firm who had crossed the line, but any more I think it's just part of doing business in a litigious climate. Might be worth your time to talk to a friendly local lawyer, not for action at this time, just a view-point. <P>On the rare occasion when I've bought a car on time (usually lease of a new pickup), the finance company makes damn sure I have insurance on their investment before the car leaves the lot. What happened with your deal? If those New York bankers of yours are thorough, they will have ensured your insurance (hah, a pun!) before the Chrysler left California. <P>Do you have lots of detailed photographs? These will be essential to your possible claim for damages. Without them, it's your wail against their fervent denial. No progress, no remedy. <P>My 'whining' comment in good taste? Beats me. Who knows what is good taste these days? I made it in good faith; if I was not sympathetic to your plight I would have remained quiet. <P>Now here's the zen part, so brace yourself. <BR>This seems like a really big deal to you right now. Don't let it define your life. Everybody, even really smart people, have had screw-ups and mistakes. If your car has a few scratches or a busted window, try to get compensation, but don't try too hard. It's part of the experience. Enjoy the car, or more correctly, enjoy the experience of the car. Some sunny Sunday afternoon, take your beautiful family in the old Chrysler down to the lake for a drive, have a picnic and a swim. That's what these old cars are all about. <P>So do you have insurance? We await your next.

Guest BillP

Got to thinking that last post might seem excessively philosophical. For the record, I don't have much to do with religions. Just expanding on hvs's light-hearted prayer comment (and threw in a little Buddhism, too). <BR>Main point was trying to help Rick think this through. <BR>Will now be quiet.

Okay, time for your daily update. To answer some questions, yes I did get a 30 day collector policy as per my finance companies request smile.gif ( Wow, something right!!! ) Anyway, feel a little better today. I spoke to the owner of the transport company, her name is Linda. She told me about the problems they had with the driver in the past, then told me he didnt desert the car, rather they took his load and fired him without a replacement. It seems when he didnt get his way with the trucking firm he had a habit of taking it out on the cars he was entrusted to carry. She told me the new drivers pager number, gave me her home number, and assured me that no damage has been done other than this long delay. She seemed pleasant, not in the least bit confrontational. I felt better after speaking with her especially after she told me the car WILL arrive on this wednesday! So, if any of you drop by hershey in the next week or so and see a guy with a big smile on his face as he pours over lit in the library, you'll know its me! As for prayer... I'll take any help I can get! Thanks again for your interest and valuable lessons in this hobby!!!<P>Still waiting, but feeling better,<BR>Rick York PA

Guest BruceW

Rick,<P>Glad to hear your luck is taking a turn for the better. Here's hoping it stays that way at till Wedneasday smile.gif

Rick: <P>Glad to hear things are working out. By the way, did you get a chance to send in your A.A.C.A. membership application?<P>Regards, Peter J.

Hi all! Peter, yes as a matter of fact I did send in my application last week. I'm looking forward to all the benefits membership has to offer. I cant wait to start doing all the shows and cruises. I'm always off Sundays as well as the 4th Sat of each month, so I'm hoping for lots of fun events! I spoke again today to the owner of the transport service. As always the time was extended slightly, I'm now expecting the car to get here very late wednesday nite or Thursday morning sometime. I'll keep you all posted of updates!<P>Thanks,<BR>Rick

Guest rcirilli

That's great only one more nervis day. I've been patiently reading this thread and it seems it is finally coming to a pleasent ending. I know the advice several people have given you is outstanding about buying cars but if it makes you feel any better I've financed a few myself. Of the four currently in the garage two were financed, one of course was brand new 24 years ago. The other is my 20 Pontiac Roadster and I just couldn't pass it up.<P>Be sure to tell us it's in tomorrow.<BR>

Rick: All of at AACA welcome you.<P>Again, please phone me at Donsco (717-252-1561). I am in the office quite a bit lately and could come over, take a digital photo, and, post it for our DF'ers.<P>Best regards, Peter.

I know exactly where Donsco is, my in laws lived at Long level for quite some time before moving to East Prospect. I live in the Elmwood area near Memorial Hospital. You can bet I'll be driving over rain or shine when it arrives! Funny, but I cant remember a time I was so anxious just to wax a car! I'll be in touch!<P>Rick