1933 Buick Generator Technical Question

pint4

I have a 1933 Buick Model 68 that I am trying to get running, Car starts right away but the ammeter is pegged at minus 20 indicationg it is discharging. I don't see a voltage regulator anywhere as some peoiple have suggested I might have to set the polarity. It talks in the manual about going 8 to 10 MPH before the generator kicks in but that didn't seem to matter. I had it up to 10 MPH. Revving the engine didn't seem to help either. I am at a lost as to what to do. It is not my area of expertise.

Thanks for your help.

Frustrated Buick Owner

With all of the automnotive expertise out there I am surprised no one has run into this problem before. I would like to take it for a ride this weekend but am reluctant until I figure out this generator problem.

With no lights on:

1: Does it show minus 20 A at idle and is not changing when revving the engine or

2: Does it show minus around plus/minus 3 A at idle and minus 20 A when revving the engine?

If one is true the generator does not generate any current and something (perhaps the generator?), besides the ignition, takes a lot of current.

If 2 is true the ammeter seems to be connected with wrong polarity e. g. showing discharge when it actually charge.

This old Buick has no voltage regulator (but you can add one electronic). It has a so called third brush generator and is essentially a constant current generator. The current can be changed by moving the third brush (loosen the locking screw on the generator end plate first).

You should disconnect the generator at the cut out when engine is running and see if current discharge becomes smaller (generator loads the battery?). At the same time check the voltage before and after the cut out and see if the cut out is working and the generator gives a voltage polarity out which is same as the battery. The voltage out should be much higher than the battery voltage with no load on the generator.

Never disconnect battery when engine is running because the generator voltage will increase too much and blow all lamps connected (generator is current source!)!

If generator is not giving any voltage out the the brushes may be worn out.

Jan