Lever action shocks on 1937 Buick, proper operation?

eric_b_1937

What is the best way to determine if the rear lever action shocks on my 1937 Buick Series 40 are working properly? I removed the differential for overhaul and I have not removed the shocks from the car yet. I can turn the arms up and down they seem to take the same force in both directions but I do not know how much force there should be to move the arm. I could put a force scale on it if I knew how many pounds should be applied in each direction for a proper working shock. Also what is a good common oil to refill the shocks? I topped the oil off a year ago with a little motor oil I hope that didn?t cause any problems.

I am in the process of researching someone to rebuild the front, lever action shocks for my car. I found a company near my home, in Santa Ana, California.

Here is their web address;

http://www.classicautoshocks.com/

It has the phone number on the site. I called them this morning and the guy was very friendly and willing to answer every question I asked him. I'm sure if you called them, they could answer your questions.

It's a small, two man business, that does nothing but rebuild lever shocks. I found out about them through some Classic car clubs in my area. They came highly recommended to me.

Good luck....